FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Vivid dreams

Pseudonymph
Community Member

I have been on antidepressants for over 20 years off and on. 

The current SSRI is having the greatest benefit in my day to day temperament and I have been on it for over two years.

However the dreams are getting much worse and I'm finding myself unable to distinguish between the dream and reality. I feel like it is now significantly affecting my work as my brain feels split between multiple realities. 

I'm a fairly strong character and I've been able to keep putting the dream back into the 'dream section' of my brain, but I'm having to do this hundreds of times per day and I'm fatigued and not sure how much longer I can keep it up. 

I took myself off this medication 4 months ago for 6 weeks (due to this side effect) but constantly wanted to kill myself and die, and felt so much better once taking them again. 

I know I need to go to the doctor but I won't be able to for 6 weeks. (I'm rural, work f/t and my GP is on leave for most of school holidays). 

I'd really like to hear from anyone similar and find out how they coped. I'm constantly  living with the reality of vivid dreams. The memories and emotions of them feel as real as daily existence and my sanity is tired and giving in. 

Thank you. 

beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

2 Replies 2

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Welcome Pseudonymph,

I hope you find some help for this, I have not experienced anything quite like this but I hope you will get some help sooner rather than later. Ring the Beyond Blue phone service, if you haven't already, they can probably help you to feel better straight away and help you to sort out what is going on. Stay on track, hopefully this side effect can be reduced, with advice from a professional. Sorry I am no help, but I will listen any time.

Jack x

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Pseudonymph, the dreams we have can be very unusual and same can relate to certain circumstances but in a different or strange way, because the other night I dreamt of some chap who I went to primary school with, that must be about 50 odd years ago, and why he appeared in my dream I have no idea, I could never know his name if I was asked and why he appeared is a such a shock.

There is someone else I see who is taking antidepressants who also has strange dreams, and we quite option talk about them, both of us are quite confused, but then often have a laugh because they are dreams that could never happen.

Both of us have decided whether or not to compile a book, but who would believe us, because what we have dreamt of at first did upset us, but now once we make ( we don't live together she's an old friend ) wake up believe that although they are unusual, they are strange, but could never happen.

Whether the antidepressants (AD) cause these dreams is highly possible, and that's why I had a dream about someone I would never recognise if I passed him on the street. Geoff.