FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

To take the meds or not take the meds?

MrMelancholy
Community Member

Hi all!

So I started getting anxiety feelings not yesterday​ but the Thursday before. I had a panic attack a few months back and then anxiety sprang up daily but only for a little while. I came back to my home town for holidays and after a couple days here and away from my girlfriend experienced 4 days of constant anxiety. I went to the doc Tuesday and she prescribed medication and gave me some sleeping tablets she also recommended I see a psychologist who I talked to Wednesday.

I've been feeling better each day since talking to the doc (Tuesday) and psychologist but had a small panic attack Wednesday night regarding taking a sleeping pill (ended up taking it and had a great sleep). I started the medication yesterday but I'm not sure if I want to continue. If I can shake this without meds I'd rather do that. Any recommendations?

7 Replies 7

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

HI MrMelancholy

Welcome to the forums and good on you for posting too!

Good move seeing your GP...always a great first step toward recovery.

I understand your anxiety after having it for 13 years (severe) and kept working with it. Its a bad place to be in when the attacks happen. I took the meds and had the therapy..and it all helped a lot.

Its hard to comment on your meds as we arent doctors but your GP wouldnt have scripted you the meds without a really important reason.

If your quality of life is being effected by the anxiety on a daily or weekly basis then the meds are a good idea.

Anxiety is similar to a physical illness as its partially chemically based which makes partially physical in essence

I tried to self heal from the anxiety without meds but it actually intensified and became more severe.

Good on you for having that great sleep after taking the sleeping med. Quality sleep is vital with anxiety as the better the sleep the less powerful the anxiety symptoms.

If you have frequent anxiety that is effecting your quality of life regularly the meds are important and beneficial for any recovery or progress to occur

I hope some of that helped MrMelancholy 🙂

I hope you can let us know how you go

my kind thoughts for you

Paul

Hey mate! Thanks for the kind words. I can't imagine going through a severe bout of anxiety. Yeah I was in a bad place when I saw the doc. Had broke down in tears the previous few days and started crying in her office too. I'm on the up though and today was another solid day! I guess my big concern is I'm planning to travel with my girlfriend in July and don't want to be on the meds too long. I think the doc said I should stay on them for about 6 months.

Dr_Kim
Community Member
Hi MrMelancholy

There is no one way to manage anxiety. The good news is that your anxiety has not been around for long and studies show that because you are getting onto treating it pretty quickly, your chances of quick and good control of symptoms are pretty high.
The way you choose to mange it is really a team decision between you, your GP and your therapist. 

If you really feel that you can work hard with lifestyle changes (like exercising) and therapy , then you may be able to bypass the medication. BUT only in consultation with your "team".

If you really want to delay starting the medication, then call your into your GP and renegotiate the plan .

It may be something like " I'm going to try all the lifestyle changes AND therapy for 6 weeks , if that seems to be working , great .. but if not , I will try the medication " or "if I relapse within 6 months, I will commit to 12 months of lifestyle changes , therapy AND medication " 

As I say , there is no ONE right answer but with open communication you should all be able to find a plan that makes everyone feel that you are making the right decisions at this stage and have contingency plans.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello MrMelancholy, you must be missing your girlfriend and who wouldn't be, I can't go away for the day because I get anxious not having my puppie with me, this is because I now live alone, two sons have grown up and I'm divorced, of course you are going to worry, she's not there with you. Geoff.

Hey MrMelancholy

Thanks heaps for posting back 🙂

Good on you for having a huge vent/cry with your doc. That does so much good and takes guts too

Glad you are on the up too....Excellent

You have a really great attitude...very proactive

my best

Paul

The_Abyss
Community Member
MM - I had resisted medication for the past 2-3 years, as I figured I could go it alone. I figured I didn't really need it. There were a lot of negative images associated with it. Finally, things got worse, and my GP got me to agree to try it. Yes, I have a load of side effects, but ultimately, just ending the fight and agreeing to give it a go was liberating. Rather than use my energy to continue the fight, I can now use my energy to improve my situation. It's not perfect, but for me, it has helped. For your GP to suggest it, s/he must have felt there was a need. Give it a decent try, and together with your GP, evaluate the response. Good luck.

The_Possum
Community Member

Hey there

I think this is a really valid question but one which is so individual as anxiety manifests itself in some many different ways and people respond differently.

I was diagnosed with anxiety early last year, mainly triggered by a number of life events. My GP and I agreed to give it 3 months with no medication as I didn't have a prior issue with it.

However I had to attend weekly counselling, I learnt deep breathing exercises and placement therapy ie focussing on something still when having an episode. I also took up running at least 3-4 times a week.

This all seemed to work for me. But requires effort. The anxiety isn't anywhere near as bad but at times I will start to feel the panic or shaking and I utilise the strategies I've been taught and overcome it within a few minutes. As a result we agreed to not medicate for it.

Having said that later last year I was diagnosed with bipolar ii and I'm on an anti epileptic, which may be helping with the anxiety.. I'm not sure on that, but I'm definitely a whole lot better all around.

Goodluck with whatever you try and just remember to keep regular contact with your GP, voice your concerns and know you can go on and off medication at any time under their guidance and direction.

Goodluck x