FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Repercussions of antidepressants

Poggie
Community Member

Good evening, all.

Has anyone experienced any repercussions from using antidepressants? Or has anyone had it not work as well as they were hoping? Or perhaps, used in incorrectly.

I've been taking SSRIs for over a year now. I suspect they aren't working as well as they should, because it might not be the correct treatment - perhaps I might not even be depressed; it could very well just be that i'm sad (probably just living a pitiful life, as apposed to having chemical imbalances in the brain).

If anyone has any thoughts, i'd love to hear.

Thank you, all.

1 Reply 1

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Poggie~

Everyone is different, and thus everyone reactions to medications is different too. Add to that the accuracy of the diagnosis and there ends up many occasions where a particular dosage or medication will have either no effect, the correct effect, or one that makes things worse. Here I'm not talking about acceptable side effects, but the medication itself after a suitable stabilization period.

I've has PTSD, bouts of depression ans a constant anxiety state for very many years. During that period I have been trialed on a large number of different medications and dosage levels. The reactions I got went from dangerously overconfident, to nothing, to making depression worse.

The side effects have ranged from nil to making me collapse.

If your life is not in good circumstances then the ideal answer is htat your coping skills are equal to it, and you even enjoy things at times. The correct treatment can help this happen.

May I suggest you have a long talk with your prescribing doctor about alternatives, possibly including therapy as well? In doing this I"' strongly recommend you take a few days to write down all the feelings and downsides you have together with the problems you face in life.

This is much easier that trying to remember when face-to-face (or video to video).

Please come back and say if you think this is a feasible idea?

Croix