FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication for Generalised Anxiety

Lily95
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I feel a bit weird posting this as I have never used one of these forums before, but I have a lot of anxiety relating to my treatment currently that I feel as though I have no one to discuss this with.

I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder three years ago and have been managing it with cognitive behaviour therapy, counselling, exercise, etc., since. My psychologists have termed me as very 'high-functioning' and believed I would be best with medication from the beginning. I have tried to hold this off for a very long time as my mother has a very poor viewpoint on people who medicate for anxiety and depression...her viewpoints are not my own but I will as though I have 'failed' in a way because of her beliefs. *I study nursing and have a high respect for mental health and medication, this is just relating to my own treatment*

Also because of my nursing degree, I feel as though I have almost too much knowledge of the side effects of these medications, and how hard it can be to come off them later.

I'm in the final year of my degree and am no longer coping in terms of my anxiety, as I now have constant panic/panic attacks due to constant stress, high pressure environments and lack of sleep. My counsellor recommended me to discuss my options with my GP, whom I went to speak with today. He believes I am also suffering from a moderate amount of depression (which I had also realised) and wrote me a prescription for a low-dose of a common SSRI, and wants to have regular check-ups to monitor it's effectiveness.

I just feel torn- I know in myself that something hasn't been right with me for the past couple of months, and that my symptoms are much more severe and frequent than usual. I'm scared about my current quality of life, and part of me believes that medication will help with this. But I'm also so cautious/anxious about possible side effects, and being able to come off this medication in the future.

I realise this is a lengthy post but I'm hoping someone else may have had a similar experience and be able to reassure me!

2 Replies 2

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

HI Lily

I know the struggles of whether or not to go on medication. First of all it is a decision you and your GP need to make together. Now one thing I suggest is not looking up different medications before going to your GP appointment. This will help you avoid worrying about side effects and aggravating your anxiety based on side effects. I found it helpful to avoid looking into it so I could just let the doctor choose what was best for me. I recently had to change medication due to the old one not working and I felt better just trusting the doctor and not dr google.

One thing I should let you know is the side effects have to be declared on the packaging and some of them are not even likely. Example Panadol is used to help headaches, but one of the unlikely side effects is a headache. SO sometimes you need to remember that the side effects may not happen to you however you have to be told about them by your doctor to make informed choice. Maybe you should let them know what is a 'no go' per say. As I was an eating disorder recoverer a medication that was likely to gain weight for me was a 'no go' because I knew I wouldn't be compliant. Having this open communication with your doctor is important.

I would also not be to concerned about your mum. Some people are not educated on mental illness. They do not understand that isn't something you can just shake off. Maybe show her a video explaining mental illness may help. It is hard for someone to understand it without ever dealing with it. Its like asking a man to to understand what it's like having a period without ever having it. Yes some can maybe imagine what its like but some can't so they don't have sympathy. I know I explained it poorly but that was the best example I had.

I hope this helped. Do what is right for you and your health. Listen to your doctor and psychologist. Try not let your concerns about your mums opinion hold you back on being well.

Rhu
Community Member

Hi Lily,

I know exactly what it feels like to be in that position. I started developing anxiety 2-3 years ago, and for a while I thought I was over it. But a few months ago, the anxiety returned, and started affecting my work to the point that I had to talk to my GP for treatment. She also started me on an SSRI, and for some time, I was reluctant to start medicating as I didn't like the thought of having to take drugs to manage my anxiety. But I eventually decided to go ahead with it, and it has made a big difference. I'm a lot calmer now, and even my boss mentioned I've been a lot more focused on my work, and a lot less frazzled and stressed.

Generally SSRI's are pretty well tolerated - you may get some headaches and altered mental alertness in the beginning (this was a problem for me initially) but usually those side effects will go away once you're used to it.

As with your mother, don't let her opinions override yours in the end. It's your health, your choice. People who don't suffer mental health issues often don't understand what it's like. Ultimately you have to do what's best for you. In the meantime, you can try using distraction techniques as well. When you feel the panic coming on, throw yourself into something you enjoy eg music or exercise. It may help to shift your focus away from your anxiety.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you go. Remember we're here to help you through this!

Rhu