FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost

Rita48
Community Member
I started a SSRI a few weeks ago. Went back to my GP who doubled the dose. Felt better after the zombie like feeling subsided after a week or so. Feel pretty low now though. My GP said come back in a month. I feel though its pointless going back to her till then. Just me I think all pretty hopeless.

beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

2 Replies 2

mrkd1991
Community Member

Hi Rita

Is this the first time you've tried AD's?

Generally they take 6 or so weeks to show their full effect. Which makes it confusing as to why your doctor doubled your dose so quickly.

Anyways, great job on seeking out help for your issues.

For a while, the meds can throw you around emotionaly quite a bit, and it does make you feel hopeless.

But do not give up, it is all part of the journey. Remember to stay strong and keep pushing forward.

You will get better, but it does take time. Just remember you have endless support here when you need it.

All the best, and good luck.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Rita48,

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to BB.

I take it that from going on the SSRI that you spoke to your GP about what was going on for you and I'm really glad that you did that.  SSRI's can have terrible side effects leaving you zombie like and I'm sorry that you experienced that.  I'm also sorry that your GP shooed you away for a month.

I really want to encourage you to find some support with someone you can talk to regularly; are you seeing a counsellor or psychologist?  Even a Mental Health nurse can be really useful.

One thing I know for sure: you are not hopeless.

Keep pushing for support; I know it's out there for you. (and click the Get Support button on the website to learn more).

Take care.