FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hypnosis

d_93
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi guys,

my mum is a sufferer of agitated and paychotic depression. She has been in and out of hospital for the last 8 months and is currently receiving care within the community. They are switching and changing medications at the moment but she is waking up every morning suffering, screaming and crying. It's really not nice to see and is hard on our family as we all work full time and are caring for her also as we can't leave her. Apparently there are no carers for anxiety and depression who come to the house and support people? We are trying everything. I was wondering also if anyone has had any positive stories or any information about hypnosis for anxiety and depression?

6 Replies 6

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear d.93~

I read your other thread about your family and the bad way your mum is in at the moment. Of course you all want her back at her best. It is a terrible thing for all of you to have her suffering like that, hopefully things will improve as her medication change takes effect.

I can't help about carers but I can tell you my experience with hypnosis - which was mixed. To give you the background I have had PTSD with anxiety and some bouts of depression for a very long time. I've had various therapies and medications over the years, being under the overall care of a psychiatrist and my GP.

For around four months I was sent each week for a one-hour session with a GP who specialized in hypnosis. This was to reduce base-level anxiety and also to provide techniques to assist me reducing more extreme symptoms as they occurred - plus improve sleeping.

The methods were firstly bodily relaxation and secondly mental imaging. It was quite hard work.

I found that during the supervised sessions I was able to reduce anxiety levels markedly, however when back in normal life the effects of the techniques were rather disappointing. There was also virtually no benefit concerning sleep patterns.

As a comparison I now gain a lot more relief from an app called Smiling Mind - also quite hard work and requires a fair amount of practice.

There has been however an unexpected benefit in that more recently I have carried out the technique I was taught in conjunction with very mild medication at bedtime. This has worked quite well, allowing me to get to sleep if my anxiety is at low to normal levels, though not if it is raised.

The GP in question did say I was a poor subject, and I probably only went to him for as long as I did out of stubbornness.

I cannot say if hypnotism using other techniques on a person other than myself would have more effect. I do know it takes work. It also may be that hypnotism is more effective nowadays - my experience was a long time ago.

The only thing left for me to say is that your and family need to look after yourselves. It's a very good thing you are under treatment and you and your younger sister have others to talk to. Are your older sister and dad receiving any medical help or other support?

Croix

d_93
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you so much on your view on hypnosis.

My sister has her own psychiatrist she talks to and my dad just talks really to us and his friends.

I find it hard because I want to go out at times then I get calls to come home because my mum isn't well or I feel bad that im out enjoying myself and the rest of the family is at home looking after my mum. It's really hard and it brings anxiety on myself because I am in two minds

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi d.93

Im really sorry about your mum

Ive had chronic anxiety for 13 years which morphed into depression. I understand what your mum is going through

I have been on this rocky road since 1983 when I was 23 and I have never met anyone that has succeeded with hypnosis as anxiety/depression is partially chemically based which makes it a physical illness...

I did try acupuncture....homeopathy....natural remedies etc and had no alternative but to take a small dosage of a benzo every night which did promote quality sleep and reduce the anxiety enough that I actually improved in my professional & personal life. Just a note, I have always been anti-meds

I really do feel for what you are going through d.93 and Im sorry that I cant be of more assistance on hypnotherapy

You are not alone here though

Croix has provided sound counsel and wisdom above

I hope you can post back and let us know how you are going

my kind thoughts

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello d.93, it's so upsetting to see your mum go through all of this, and I'm sure that any advice we can give you would be a help, because not only do you want to have your own life, you also realise that your mum is not well.
There is no reason why you shouldn't try hypnosis so I would definitely give it a go, not that I've had it, but you're desperate to get her feeling better, if you google this 'carers depression support' there are places where you can contact such as 'Sane' and 'Mind Australia'.
Geoff.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear d.93~

One of the things you said was troubling you

or I feel bad that im out enjoying myself

Yes that is a very natural reaction - but completely wrong. It does show you are a caring person with a sense of responsibility ( that comes though in all your words anyway ), but also that the drive to always be there for your mum and family has gone beyond what's realistic.

There is a notice in passenger aircraft on the overhead-lockers:

Put oxygen mask on self before others

This sums it up neatly. You have to be in good shape to help others, that is not being selfish, just a fact. Your life has to be a balance in order for you to stay in good health, have a sense of proportion and the energy needed. Plus of course looking after you mum is a team effort.

This of course means that the other members of your family need to have breaks and other parts to their lives as well.

Croix

d_93
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you so much Croix, all your words are so true and helpful. She and us were suffering at home so today we took her back to the hospital again. It was so hard to get her there and she doesn't want to be there but when she is home she is so hard to control. We find it really hard because she thinks it's us not wanting her at home and we want her in the hospital. I'm hoping some changes of medication or something (i don't know what) will get my mum back on track.

It's a really tough situation which I hope gets on track and back to her happy self soon. I've heard lots of positive stories so I'm really holding on to that hope of gettin her back to her normal self.

d.93