FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How long did it for medication to work for you

ribbonwhite
Community Member

Just wanting to see how long it took to notice a change once starting medication? 

I'm only at day six but I feel like I'm getting worse. All I want to do is sleep because I don't want to be in "reality" the anxiety hasn't died down. I feel like my heart is about to jump out of my chest, its so bad it hurts. I feel like my whole body is shaking and having "tick" like sensations. I must add this was all here before starting medication.

Ive been prescribed two different medications is anyone able to give feed back?

Prescribed for helo in treatment for PTSD

TIA 

25 Replies 25

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi ribbonwhite,

I also have PTSD and I've tried a number of different medications for that and anxiety/depression/bipolar and many of them take at least a couple of weeks to work. They don't fire up a big immediate response but rather a slow and gradual change. Lots of people report feeling worse off during the onset and that's because your brain chemistry is adjusting in response to the medication. I know that I've had much worse anxiety when i've started taking medications for anxiety and this often lasts a couple of weeks. Fortunately the drugs do work, it just takes a little while for the meds to build up in your system.  

ribbonwhite
Community Member

Thanks PatT for your response 

You mentioned you have tried a few medications, do you mind me asking how many you tried before you found something that helped? 

Also are you able to describe how medication has helped?

I suppose im skeptical because PTSD comes from a traumatic time in my life. I don't see how medication can help me "move on" from all the hurt that was caused 

Ladyhawke
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi ribbonwhite,

​I've been prescribed a variety of medications for anxiety and depression during the past 20 years. 

It's perfectly natural to want the meds to work as soon as possible, but in my experience, most psychotropic drugs can take up to 6 weeks before there is a noticeable change and, as PatT wrote, because they are working to adjust your brain chemistry, the change is usually gradual.

However, everyone's brain chemistry is different. I found that the meds for depression began to  work after about a month. About a year later, I was diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder and prescribed a major tranquillizer and a mood stabilizer which both took about 3 weeks to "kick in". Again, everyone is different in their response times. I remember that, after I was prescribed the meds for anxiety, I expected them to work within a few days and ended up making myself more anxious when they didn't.

In the meantime, can you speak to your doctor or therapist about your concerns?  It may also help if you can find a way to temporarily distract yourself - anything that can take you out of yourself for a period of time. I find relaxation and guided visualization CDs extremely beneficial. These are also available in app. forms that you can download.

I have no doubts your meds will begin to give you some relief soon - just try to be patient for a few weeks and talk to your doctor/therapist if need be.

Best wishes

LH

Hi ladyhawke

Thanks for your response.

I didn't really expect a major change this early. But I suppose I had hoped the anxiety might die down a bit.

I have been doing everything i used to do to keep everything "under control" but nothing is helping this time. even going out and walking isn't helping at all. I see the psychiatrist this Wednesday to see how I'm going. I know I need to give them time. But as I said previously I don't see how medication can help to overcome what has happened. 

Hi again ribbonwhite,

I felt the same way when I began taking psychotropic  medication and I think many people do.

I can only speak about my own particular experiences; others may have had completely different reactions.  

When I finally found the correct antidepressant, after trialling many, I found that, after a while, there was a feeling of detachment from the depression and certain issues which seemed to trigger it. I still had a level of depression and the memories were still there, but they weren't foremost in my thoughts all the time. I was able to compartmentalize them and not spend most of my waking hours ruminating over them. I felt a certain distance from those thoughts, which enabled me to speak about my feelings with my psychiatrist without bursting into tears every time I spoke about painful issues.

I found the medication for my anxiety worked in much the same way and it also worked very directly on the physical aspects of the illness - after spending years waking up shaking and feeling nauseous, I would take the meds about an hour before getting up (as prescribed) and within an hour I was able to get up and function. Again, these meds created a level of detachment, so that if I experienced distressing, intrusive thought, I wouldn't immediately have an anxiety or panic attack.

For me, the treatment for the severe anxiety has been more successful than the treatments for depression.  I have just spent 3 weeks in hospital with a resistant bout of depression.

Again, everyone's experiences are unique. It may be very helpful if you speak with your psychiatrist on Wednesday about the issues you've raised here. Reassurance by a professional can be be enormously comforting, particularly in the early stages of treatment. I really hope all goes well for you. Feel free to contact me if you wish - I check into the forums about every 2/3 days.

LH

Thanks ladyhawke for sharing your experience.

It gives me a little peace of mind that the medication may help "soften" the memories that constantly linger around in my head.

I hope you are doing better now after your hospital stay.

I go back to work tomorrow after just under two weeks off. I'm not sure if I'm ready to. But not being at work means no income. I'm still at this stage where I just don't want to be anywhere, I still feel very lost. I'm trying to stay strong for my son. But in the same respect feel like he deserves so much more than a mother that's sad all the time. 

Hi ribbonwhite,

Thank you - ​I'm feeling much better after my stay in hospital.

Yes, it does help to speak to people who may have had similar experiences - you feel like you're not the only one going through it.

Very difficult to work if you're not feeling well. Perhaps it may help a bit if you try to see each day as being one step closer to the medication taking effect and softening the harsh edges of your illness. Perhaps you could visualize certain activities or things you may like to do once you are in recovery - daydreaming never hurts; I'm a huge fan of it.

As a mother, it's difficult not to feel responsible for everything. However, you are not responsible for your illness and there are tens of thousands of people experiencing similar feelings. Try not to feel guilty over something you cannot control. You've taken the most positive steps available to enable you to feel better and, after a few months of therapy and medication, your little boy will have a Mum who isn't so sad.

Take care and let me know how things go for you - I'm genuinely interested.

LH

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi, 

I've tried about 6 medications since I was 12 (24 years old now) and in my case some work for a period then stop. It's quite strange but that's just the way some operate I suppose. I know doctor's don't have a firm understanding of how SSRIs actually work (or why they stop working) but I've been on the same one for about 2 years now and it's been going well.

Medication certainly doesn't help you "move on" but it can greatly reduce the amount of mental trauma you experience around the issue. I know my PTSD manifests in different ways like night terrors, huge outbursts of anxiety/hysteria in some situations etc. and from experience when I'm on my meds then I know these manifestations occur less. To move on from PTSD is certainly a difficult thing to imagine and I am nowhere near yet. But have you considered cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)? I believe it has one of the highest success rates in helping people with PTSD. 

Personally meditation has helped me more than anything. Any other questions, please ask away

Thanks for your response ladyhawke.

At this stage I am just trying to take each day as it comes. Some are a little easier than others I really struggle to get out of bed. I'm trying to set myself a goal by starting at a gym. This in itself is a hard task with a little one and very little support network. I'm hoping to find one with childcare that's not too espensive. 

You have said you have suffered for many years. Do you mind measking if you feel this has impacted on relationships? Friendships, romantic or otherwise? Just curious as I have found in my case it has. I only have a very very small support being my closet friend and sister and feel those relationships are strained. And anything romantic has not lasted long. 

I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply