Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Stormgrl101 Medication change and hospital
  • replies: 6

hi Today my psychiatrist was discussing going into hospital or a respite care place while I will be going through a medication change. Just wondering if anyone has experiences to share or if they have been through something like this and could tell m... View more

hi Today my psychiatrist was discussing going into hospital or a respite care place while I will be going through a medication change. Just wondering if anyone has experiences to share or if they have been through something like this and could tell me what it was like for them. I have never been in hospital for anything before and not sure how to feel. I'm scared I will miss my pet bunny and boyfriend too much.

allofme 30 year old male on antidepressants for 9 years and its stopped working
  • replies: 3

hi ive been on an antidepressant for 9 years and for the last 12 months ive been having horrible anxiety and panic attacks. im not derpressed or even have racing thoughts,what is happening seems more physical then anything. i find it hard to breathe ... View more

hi ive been on an antidepressant for 9 years and for the last 12 months ive been having horrible anxiety and panic attacks. im not derpressed or even have racing thoughts,what is happening seems more physical then anything. i find it hard to breathe and have a swimmy head most the time and am always in a state of uneasy. i went to my gp this morning and he thinks maybe my antidepressant isnt working anymore so he recommends i go 24 hours without it then start a new medication. i know what the withdrawls from my antidepressant are like and told him i dont think i could go off them cold turkey but he said alot of people do it this way so i guess i just have to trust him. i just want to feel normal again, ive had a heap of blood test and i know its just my anxiety causing it all. do any of u guys have and ideas on what could work and if my gp is right?

Loco_ Cant shake the feeling of guilt
  • replies: 2

Hi All, I've been seeing my psychologist since April roughly around once a month so far due to scheduling issues. Recently we moved to fortnightly sessions as we identified that a monthly sessions just weren't working. The session before last she off... View more

Hi All, I've been seeing my psychologist since April roughly around once a month so far due to scheduling issues. Recently we moved to fortnightly sessions as we identified that a monthly sessions just weren't working. The session before last she offered to schedule an appointment for the late December just before Christmas as my next appointment wasn't until the new year. I said that I should be okay, mostly because I feel that I need to demonstrate that I can cope alone. At my last session I asked right at the beginning if we could schedule an extra appointment as I was coping very well. She said she had planned to phone me during the break, but we can make an extra appointment if I feel I need it. At the end of the session she gave me a gift, something small and meaningful, that I could use to remind of our work together during the holiday period. I was walked out the session she asked me again if I felt I needed the appointment or if a phone call would suffice. I said I would take the appointment if it didn't inconvenience her, and the appointment was scheduled. Now I'm so anxious. I feel really guilty. I know that the appointment is during her usual non-contact time, as are my next two appointments after that (only way we could do fortnightly sessions for now). I feel like I'm draining her resources, when there are other patients who likely need that time too. I feel guilty because she tried to do what she could to make the break easier (offering a phone call and the transitional object) but I still asked for the session. I feel like I'm being way too needy. I thought about calling her office when she's in next (only works there 2 days a week) and talking to her about this, but that causes more anxiety as I feel contacting her only makes me seem even more needy. My next appointment is Christmas Eve which will be great because family and social events are a huge trigger for me, so this time of year sucks. However, I feel like I should cancel because of the anxiety and guilt around being needy. I worry if I cancel that she will just assume I'm doing okay and then I will feel let down when I don't hear from her. Has anyone else every experienced these kinds of thoughts and feelings within the therapeutic relationship, and how did you manage them?

Cinda78 Feeling worse on Medication

Hi cam someone please help me. I have been taking medication for 11days and am feeling worse than when I started. Can anyone please tell me if this will pass. Thank you

Hi cam someone please help me. I have been taking medication for 11days and am feeling worse than when I started. Can anyone please tell me if this will pass. Thank you

Pseudonymph Vivid dreams

I have been on antidepressants for over 20 years off and on. The current SSRI is having the greatest benefit in my day to day temperament and I have been on it for over two years.However the dreams are getting much worse and I'm finding myself unable... View more

I have been on antidepressants for over 20 years off and on. The current SSRI is having the greatest benefit in my day to day temperament and I have been on it for over two years.However the dreams are getting much worse and I'm finding myself unable to distinguish between the dream and reality. I feel like it is now significantly affecting my work as my brain feels split between multiple realities. I'm a fairly strong character and I've been able to keep putting the dream back into the 'dream section' of my brain, but I'm having to do this hundreds of times per day and I'm fatigued and not sure how much longer I can keep it up. I took myself off this medication 4 months ago for 6 weeks (due to this side effect) but constantly wanted to kill myself and die, and felt so much better once taking them again. I know I need to go to the doctor but I won't be able to for 6 weeks. (I'm rural, work f/t and my GP is on leave for most of school holidays). I'd really like to hear from anyone similar and find out how they coped. I'm constantly living with the reality of vivid dreams. The memories and emotions of them feel as real as daily existence and my sanity is tired and giving in. Thank you. beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Nickname_551E7399-FF81-43 Tiredness on Meds
  • replies: 5

Hi - I do hope that I'm not raking up some old issue that's been solved before. My problem is extreme tiredness while on antidepressants. It was a problem with the very first brand of SSRI antidepressants I was prescribed. I was tried on three differ... View more

Hi - I do hope that I'm not raking up some old issue that's been solved before. My problem is extreme tiredness while on antidepressants. It was a problem with the very first brand of SSRI antidepressants I was prescribed. I was tried on three different brands all with the same tiredness side effect. I'm now on a fourth and have been for about a year. But I still feel so tired. I'm always yawing and have a nap anytime I lie down day or night. I don't feel drugged, just 'naturally' tired. I'm taking my meds at night now to see if that will help but I guess they are long lasting and it's not really helping. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it, if you did? Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!

Rattie Trying new meds

Hi there, This is my first post and its so nice to have an anonymous forum to chat on. I've been on and off meds since I was 16. I'm now 43. I've tried most antidepressants and anti anxiety meds (SSRI, SRNI Tricyclic) as well as a few natural remedie... View more

Hi there, This is my first post and its so nice to have an anonymous forum to chat on. I've been on and off meds since I was 16. I'm now 43. I've tried most antidepressants and anti anxiety meds (SSRI, SRNI Tricyclic) as well as a few natural remedies and good old self medication. My last experience had me on a high dose of an SNRI which after a while just wasn't manageable for me. The side effects were to much to manage and the meds stopped being effective. I really want to be drug free, but I'm getting unwell again. Due to the number of drugs I've tried my GP has referred me to a psychiatrist to better manage my meds. He's suggested trying a new melatonergic antidepressant (I wont mention the brand name). He seems to think I'll respond well to it. Has anyone had any experience with this type of drug? As far as I can tell its pretty new, not on PBS and user reviews range from "great" to "help my hair is falling out". I suppose I'm also just simply not happy to go back on meds so I'm not sure what to do, and I think I'm just looking for a bit of support. Whilst my partner and friends are great - they don't really understand the daily (very tiring) battle to stay well. I'm not sure I'm sick enough to go back onto meds and hoping that I can come out of the cloud by myself. Thanks for listening.

Swok vitamins and medication
  • replies: 3

Hi, I'm new to the beyond blue forum. However, I'm not new to anxiety/depression/hallucinations etc I've been on the same medication for about twelve years (mentally healthy). However, I have been sick with the flue and decided to take some multivita... View more

Hi, I'm new to the beyond blue forum. However, I'm not new to anxiety/depression/hallucinations etc I've been on the same medication for about twelve years (mentally healthy). However, I have been sick with the flue and decided to take some multivitamins to aid in my recovery. Has anyone experience drug interaction problems with vitamins? After taking the vitamins for about three days, I started to experience anxiety and bouts of surreal thought patterns similar to how I felt many years ago. It has been dreadful! After I stopped the vitamins, the symptoms disappeared. No more vitamins for me !!

Haylz123 Withdrawals
  • replies: 4

I have been on medication for about 4 years and have tapered to nothing. It's now day 4 medication free. I've had headaches and dizziness which I expected. The first two nights I slept pretty well only waking a couple of times and getting straight ba... View more

I have been on medication for about 4 years and have tapered to nothing. It's now day 4 medication free. I've had headaches and dizziness which I expected. The first two nights I slept pretty well only waking a couple of times and getting straight back to sleep. Last night was different. I couldn't sleep and burst out in tears in frustration. I managed to doze off a few hours later but didn't feel like a proper sleep. My dog woke me early this morning wanting to go outside. I couldn't control my emotions and cried and cried. All the other side effects I can deal with but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to control my outburst of frustration? Thanks.

louies Medication side effects
  • replies: 4

Hi thereI have just upped my medication and I am experiencing the same side effects i did when i first started taking them. a very flat mood and sick feeling in my stomach.Has any one ells experienced some side effects on a drug increase ?? how long ... View more

Hi thereI have just upped my medication and I am experiencing the same side effects i did when i first started taking them. a very flat mood and sick feeling in my stomach.Has any one ells experienced some side effects on a drug increase ?? how long will they take to subside? Cheers Riss