FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How effective is antidepressant medication and psychotherapy?

clareeezy
Community Member
Hey guys,

First time poster! So, in September of last year I was diagnosed with depression by my local GP. He put me on an antidepressant and referred me to a psychologist. Being skeptical, I neglected to go and see a psychologist because I simply thought it would be a waste of time, and I was relying on the meds prescribed to me. Not only did I feel like it didn't work but it made me even more tired. I went through one cycle and never renewed my prescription, hoping that time would heal me...

It is now January, a new year and I really want to get on top of my depression (and now anxiety) before it consumes the rest of my year/life. So I'm just wondering how effective is antidepressant medication (perhaps I'm on the wrong ones?) and if seeing a psychologist is actually worth it? and if so, what happens during a typical session? Is it dependent on the therapist? Is it expensive/covered by Medicare?

Thanks,
Clarence
11 Replies 11

Paul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey SF,

In line with most other quoted figures, my brother charges $165 per hour session.

Paul

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I agree with what everyone else says. My psychologist bulk bills so I pay nothing on the care plan but that is up to the individual psychologist. It takes time to build up rapport and trust but it is worth persevering for a few sessions but if you still don't click change as it is important the psychologist suits you. I haven't found suitable anti depressants due to side effects. Each  medication reacts differently on different people so going back to the GP to review meds and change as required is essential.