FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Help! Not sure what to try

JLM
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been battling depression for the last couple of years but only really got diagnosed maybe a year ago. I have been taking an antidepressant for about a year now and my depression and anxiety was ok for a little while but still up and down, the last week I have been coping very well with things and my husband suggest that maybe I need to go to a clinic for a few days to get help just to try something different. Has anyone been to a clinic or hospital for help with this? How has it worked for you? I am seeing my GP tonight to discuss changing meds but this is starting to really effect my personal and work life now.

2 Replies 2

pipsy
Community Member
Dear JLM.  Not sure if this will help, but here goes.  About 7 years ago, I was admitted to a 'psych' ward at our local hospital.  I did speak to a counsellor who suggested that I needed new directions in my life.  I was reviewed as far as meds were concerned and placed on other meds as well as what I was taking.  I was there a week (all the hospital could give me).  There was no 'group' therapy as such, just one on one with a counsellor.  The week away was good because I was able to rest and 'recharge'.  However, in my case, I went back to the situation that had caused the original problem.  If by going into a hospital/clinic, means you can be helped meds wise, it is beneficial.  If you are going because of home problems, the same problem could still be at home when you return.  If you and your husband can talk about what's bothering you (possibly) with a counsellor, you may not need to go to hospital.  Have a talk with your G.P tonight, is husband going?  It would be good for you if he is there, if he is supportive.  Some husbands can't 'be there' for their wives, they're just not capable of understanding what the problem is.  It's not their fault, it's not your fault, it's just the way it is.  Discuss with your G.P about going to a hospital before you decide for sure.   

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi JLM  welcome

Re: "and my husband suggest that maybe I need to go to a clinic for a few days to get help just to try something different."

You'll have to tell us what that is?

Your doctor has a great deal of tools at his disposal to help you. Like an array of medications (eg I tried 12 before I got the one for me), referrals to therapy and psycholgical/psychiatrical services, therapies relaxation classes etc.

Tony WK