FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

GP in same situation as me

The_Possum
Community Member

Hi there

I just found out a few of weeks ago that my GP is in the same situation as myself ie we both have close family with terminal cancer.

At first I thought this would be good. But every consult seems to be highly emotive, sometimes I almost reduce my GP to tears. Other times she is trying to help me but becomes rather irritated and the advice ends up becoming more about her than me.

The last time we spoke ended with her telling me that I needed to grow up because we can't keep our loved ones here forever and we can't save everyone.

I walked out feeling very shocked particularly as she knows I'm bipolar ii and struggling with depression at present.

I had my phone off to calls for a week to have a break from people calling and yesterday found three voicemails, Two from staff and One the practice manager saying to call and make an appointment with the GP. The practice manager asked me to get in contact with her

I called yesterday and got the run around. So just sent the practice manager an email apologising that I didn't have my phone on and asking if I still needed to make an appointment. I've heard nothing.

I was in the practice a few days ago for an emergency consult due to a medication rash and saw a different GP and he said nothing. So if something was on my file ie a recall request I'd assume it would be on there.

Anyway guess I'm just feeling confused and wondering if she should be my GP if it's too emotive like this. I'd be devastated to lose her as she has been my GP for years & really helped me, but maybe it's not healthy. I don't know.

10 Replies 10

Hi Possum,

She clearly hit a nerve. I'm glad you have your own personally defined upper limit of what you will and won't tolerate in a medical professional. Yes, I agree it wasn't her decision to make.

I don't know too much about terminal cancer but you made a good point about how life expectancy can vary depending on various factors e.g. the type of treatment plan used.

I'm glad your husband has kept his sense of humour despite the circumstances.

Hugs and kind thoughts,

Pepper