FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Gag reflex irritation while on SSRIs

qfskies18
Community Member

Hey all!

Im relatively new to being on medication, having only started about six weeks ago, but I’ve had the same problem with two different SSRIs of having an irritated gag reflex. The first one was really bad, I always felt like I was about to gag or throw up, which was why I switched. This new one is definitely not as bad but still there and it’s very frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this side effect with any medications? How long did it take to go away if so? I’m highly considering not trying a third drug and going to therapy instead, as I feel I can’t cope with these side effects much longer, they’re impacting my quality of life. Someone suggested it might be the drug making my anxiety worse which is causing the gag response but I’ve never had this issue with my anxiety before these drugs

Any insight is much appreciated!

Thanks!

18 Replies 18

I felt better by the afternoon, but I’ve booked an appointment for tomorrow to discuss it with the doctor anyway.

Apologies for the late reply! How did the appointment go?

The doctor believes it is a fun new symptom of anxiety. It has improved over the last couple of days, but it’s still there, especially if I focus on it. He has put me on a drug to block some of my adrenaline to stop my body being in fight or flight all the time, and that seems to have mitigated the worst of the gagging. I have a couple more days before I’m at the full dosage so I’m hoping the increased dose will make a bigger difference!

Hi qfskies,

Since being medicated with antipsychotics my throat restricts and I gag.... sometimes I even vomit.

I hate it. I've been gagging for about 2 years now on and off.

Y'day I gagged in public.

I did some research and it can be a symptom of medication.

Sorry you're also going through this.

Update: I increased to the full dosage of the adrenaline blocker this morning and I feel awesome. Haven’t gagged all day and haven’t even felt like I was going to. I feel pretty much back to normal! So grateful!

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that qfskies18, that's super awesome 🙂

Hi monkey_magic,

Sorry to hear you have been going through this too!

Have you seen a mental health professional about this?

That sounds really difficult. Please know that you are not alone!

Hi Missep123,

Thx for caring. Yeah saw one today actually but I'm bound by a community treatment order to keep getting injected with meds/ drugs against my will until a tribunal in Oct. It's inhumane and unjust.

I'm screwed. Just have to have hope in the body's natural healing abilities.

Hi Monkey_magic,

we really do care here on the forums! I think the body's natural healing abilities are amazing too. I think during this challenging time it will be important to take care and be kind to yourself.