FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feels like another SSRI failure

Teagsyjm
Community Member

Hey guys!

Throughout my struggle I have been on two different SSRI's, which also didn't have a successful outcome. A few weeks ago I was prescribe  another SSRI, although it gave me restless legs. I have now come off it  

I am reaching out to see others experiences with SSRI's and if it's common that if I try another SSRI , will it not work for me because it's an SSRI and they haven't worked for me previously?

Does it mean, I have to stray totally away from SSRI's and maybe try SNRI's?  

Thankyou!!!

3 Replies 3

WallPop
Community Member

Hi Teagsyjm. I've got to admit that at the moment I can't remember which Meds are SSRI or SNRI although I should after 18 years. Certainly in my experience there was one 'Genre' (if that's the right term) that seemed to generate negative reactions for me due to those Meds. I'd have to go away n look all this up but certainly I believe one group of antidepressants was more 'productive' for me than the other.  But I have to admit I think my system has become saturated with Meds and am currently trying to run free of them. We all react differently to the various Tabs. and I do believe we need to find the more effective family of Meds for each of us.

Sincerely WallPop

iamanxiety
Community Member

Hi Teag

i too have had many years with unsuccessful treatment with antidepressants , from ssri's to  ssnri's and then to teca's. i had a hard time waiting for them to take effect only to find out they did not really work for me. i did not feel well weaning off them and had some withdrawal symptoms. it finally took seeing a psychiatrist who finally said he has had much success with a combination off 2 antidepressants, i started feeling an improvement after 5 weeks with full effect coming at about  12 weeks. i can finally function again and my depression and anxiety do not rule my life anymore. i am definitely not 100% but im in a much better place and with my regular visits to a physiologist i hope to keep improving .

dont give up most of us are not lucky enough to have the fist medication work well for us, it can be trial and error but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

best of luck

WallPop
Community Member

Hello again Teags. I'm referring back to my earlier reply and am now of the belief that the SSRI's were the Meds causing me grief, i.e. Anxiety n Aggravated depression symptoms. I have just had a very unpleasant past week due I believe to a SSRI. I also must add that over time it has been noted that I am somewhat quite sensitive to these Meds, more so the SSRI's I'd have to say.

Its no easy matter when we all react differently.

Sincerely all the best Wallpop