FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Doctor not believing me

SomeGuy2015
Community Member
Hi all, just wondering if anyone else has had this / what did they do. About a year ago I went to the doctors as I was vomiting in my mouth/everywhere and diarrhea all the time. He asked lots of questions about my diet and such but I hadn't eaten or done anything different. The only thing that was different was that I was under a lot of stress at the time and I asked if it may be anxiety. He pretty much said no, like he thought I was wasting his time or something and wouldn't give me a doctors cert. for having part of the day off work. Things have been fine since then but lately some stressful things have been happening and I'm starting to get anxious again, even about going out to meet friends. This has led to vomiting / diarrhea again and makes it difficult to go out. I'm now worried about going back to any doctor (def. not going back to the first guy) as they may not believe me. 
2 Replies 2

pipsy
Community Member

Hi SomeGuy2015.  I feel it for you.  I can't imagine how it must be with the knowledge that you weren't believed.  Had you ever been to this Dr before?  It sounds as though you are stressing and I would go to another Dr (definitely not that one).  You may have to visit a few before you get one that will listen.  Some Dr's are overworked (not that, that's any excuse).  They tend to get to the point of 'heard it all before'.  I personally have never experienced your particular problem, but it does sound as though you're stressing.  At the top of this page there is a post called 'resources'.  This may help as there is an area for health professionals.  If you 'left mouse' on the word resources, the word 'health professionals' comes up.

Good luck.

Miss-Anne-Throwpy
Community Member

Hi ya Someguy,

I recently encountered a pretty awful Dr. Never in my more than 40 years of living have I been so badly treated by a GP. It was my first appointment with a new Dr after moving to the area. It actually left me stunned and shocked. I googled the Dr and found numerous other negative reviews of them that followed similar lines of my own experience, so it was a little reassuring to know I wasn't being negative and over sensitive given my mental health situation.

I didn't want to experience that again so I now travel the considerable distance to my former clinic where a decade of records exist.I don't think it's about hearing what you want to hear from the GP, it's about respect and about following the correct duty of care.

Perhaps a new Dr will help you? I