FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Cure or Maintanance

Scotty2013
Community Member
Hi BBr's was thinking  do you think there's such thing as a cure?, or is it maintenance?, like to hear your thoughts. TC.
5 Replies 5

joey
Community Member

I think there's a cure - but I don't think it's necessarily a medication.

I don't know exactly how it's define but I think when you recover from cancer you go into remission and then only after much time are you considered cured. I think in mental health it's the same. There is always a chance of a relapse.

DBT was my cure, but I imagine everyone's if different. It's not a magic cure. And even after you are cured from the condition, it takes more time to heal from the experience.

I am not healed from the experience. I don't know if I ever will be. To harm yourself, to want to kill yourself - once you stop feeling like that it's only then you realise how bad it was. There is a fear that it will come back - but we cant live in fear. It's a waste of good time - deal with it if and when it happens.

HighlandGirl
Community Member

I think that really depends on the individual with the illness/es in question.  In my case, I am "managed" rather than looking to be "cured" because I have problems with my brain chemistry and function that medication and psychotherapy HELP with; they don't cure the condition or its symptoms but they do make it more manageable.  I have good and bad days, sadly still more bad than good.  I've tried to be positive and optimistic but depression has turned me into a pessimist against my will. 

What are your thoughts? 

Thanks Joey and HighlandGirl, I think the same really, I am maintained but never cured, I've seen it get better, but I've also seen it take a dive to after so many years making me feel back as square one again . I've read many threads over the years , but yes varies on the person i think, some people go on and never experience it again,  Then others are debilitated by it thanks TC

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Scotty, I will raise you one, is it a cure or to overcome depression. Cure to me is like when you have an infection so you take penicillin, but you overcome depression and then it needs maintenance to keep it away, if that's ever possible. Geoff.

Scotty2013
Community Member
Hi Geoff nice to see you here, Well i like that, sounds good to me 🙂 TC.