FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Change of meds

Desert_girl
Community Member

I'm new to the site, finding it quite helpful. 

I have been on the same anti depressants for the last three years for panic attacks, anxiety and then leading to depression.. I have known I'm not on the right meds for over a year and a half now, finally went to the doctor to change them, feeling abit scared about the change and weaning of my current ones and onto a new one. I work away remote three months at a time so the doctor was a bit hesitant about changing my meds as there are no real doctors available for weeks at times.. But I suppose there isn't really a "perfect" time to change meds, it's something you just have to do. I have support out where I work from my co workers and there is a remote area nurse as well. I'm just feeling a bit nervous about it as I don't want to fall into a deep hole of feeling like crap again and not be able to work or be able to get home if I fall down again as it takes two days to get back "home" and many flights.  I don't know how I will react to the new meds, then I'm giving myself anxiety just thinking about the change. My family thinks I should be changing the meds around family and friends but I also believe they are the some of reason I get anxiety/depression. I haven't really had the same doctor to monitor me ever because I travel a lot which is one of the things that keeps me "sane" haha. 

so hopefully I can get some support while I'm away at work from this site while changing meds 🙂 

1 Reply 1

Narniakid
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Desert girl, thanks for your post!

I've been on medication for about 5 years now, and I changed mine a couple of times. It is a little nerve-wracking in the switch, however it is also a conscious thing too; if you tell yourself you're not going to be able to cope in those couple of days switching over, then you won't. But if you tell yourself you're okay to be just fine, you'll find the process much easier.

People tend to feel dependent on their medication and get scared during the times they aren't taking them. I think you're doing the right thing by coming on here in the meantime for some support, and if at any time you do feel overwhelmed or in danger, please do not hesitate to use the phone service. We are here to help you every step of the way.

Crystal