FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

CBT, positive thinking, changing your thinking, is it possible

StefT
Community Member
Hey i'm curious if these have worked for anyone. Bad life experiences, depression, dead end jobs and unfulfilled dreams have put me in a negative mind. Looking into CBT and positive thinking videos I can only wish I could think like that. I recognize the potential benefits but having always reacted to my emotions I don't know if i'm capable. Is it just a gradual process of indoctrinating yourself enough with these concepts that you start to change your outlook?
2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear StefT, this is a very good question, but it depends on how each person approaches the treatment they are having and whether or not they can relate to what is being said, in other words, we need to know of examples that other people are trying to do so that they can cope to overcome their problem, but more importantly the best way is to learn on how we can benefit from having CBT, so yes you could say that it is by indoctrination, just as when we were at primary school we had to keep saying the alphabet or the times table, so in other words it's a learning process.

It's not as easy as learning the alphabet, because when we are having trouble with depression, bad life experiences and dead end jobs, the concept to change our mind thinking is so much harder, because circumstances change all the time, so we maybe getting on well but then suddenly something may happen and then throw us of guard, and then we're back to square one. Geoff.

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Stef

I wrote a reply to you early this morning but then the web site told me there had been an error and lost my post.  I will now try to recreate my response.

CBT and positive thinking are different things. I do not believe positive thinking can solve your problems as far as depression etc is concerned. To me it's like knowing you have a broken leg and trying to convince yourself you can still walk on it without pain and without doing further damage. Really not possible. For your leg to heal you need an x-ray to find the extent of the problem, proper treatment to set the bone, probably have your leg in plaster or similar and use crutches to get around.

None of this can be achieved by telling yourself you are OK. You cannot see your leg heal, which is why you have regular checkups and you need physio while your leg heals and afterwards. So translate this to recovery from mental illness. It's the same process.

Positive thinking is part of CBT. You need to be positively engaged in the process, willing to work hard and not give up because you cannot see improvements. Sometimes you are so close to the problem that changes are hard to see, but the person helping you, psych, counsellor etc, can see what is happening, hence the continued treatments/meetings. So you need to believe them just as you would the doctor managing your leg injury.

Trying to force yourself to believe anything is hard work, especially if you have no help or encouragement. It's also hard work if what you are trying to believe is untrue such as "I believe my boyfriend cares about me", despite all the evidence to the contrary. All the positive thinking will not make him care.

So having thoroughly depressed you, but not I hope overwhelmed you, may I say I applaud your intention to get well. But please be realistic. Go to a psychologist or similar and learn CBT. It's a really great process if taught properly. Learning from a book may well work, but getting skilled help is so much easier.

I hope you will continue to write in here.

Mary