FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Assistance for a person too scared to go see someone

7x
Community Member

I’d like to know if there’s a way to get some sort of assistance or diagnosis with as little irl human interaction possible. I have tried (with a lot of effort) going to a therapist but the entire time I was in the chair I just felt scared and uncomfortable and on the verge of tears. She was a nice lady and I know she was just trying to help but I’m always scared. 

1 Reply 1

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear 7x,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums…

A round 6-7 years ago, I was going through similar to what you’re going through, I just couldn’t go out anywhere let alone my Dr…I did build up enough courage to end up going after a while, when I got to reception and into the waiting room, I was in tears, the receptionist asked if I was okay and I told her about my anxiety, she took me into a little room that was free of people…which helped a bit…I had my fidget toys with me which helped…Maybe if you can get yourself to your Drs reception, ask the receptionist if their is a room vacant of people that you can wait for your Dr to be ready for your appointed time…and explain about your anxiety and how being around stranger makes you scared….

I was scared of my counsellor for the first few visits, just sat there and didn’t do much talking, except yes or no answers, over time I got a lot more comfortable with her…because I began to realise that she was trying to help me….

I think there are phone consultations you can arrange with counselling……., during Covid my Dr arranged this for me, but it wasn’t really working for me…I think because it was a different therapist…Do you think you feel a connection with your therapist?..

Maybe Dear 7x, if you’re able to, have a talk to your Dr and see what they can arrange for you….My Dr also arranged a support worker to take me to and from appointments as well as weekly outings, after I had a big setback and had to spend 6 weeks in a mental health facility….

Not sure if I’ve helped you at all, other lovely members will pop in from time to time and help support you the best they can…

My kindest and most caring thoughts Dear 7x,

Grandy..