FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anitdepressant withdrawals

Blooming_Bel
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm new here but was wondering if anyone can help me 😞 I'm weaning off antidepressants recently and am going through hell to say the least...working full time and trying to deal with the horrible side effects! The nausea, pain, headaches and emotions. I currently am on a weeks holiday, my first in a year, yet have been run off my feet. Keeping the house clean and seeing family who are all so keen to catch up but I am exhausted:(

Has anyone been through the weaning off antidepressant experience? My husband is driving me insane and has been awful to me for a week and wont talk to me...he wants me off pills but doesn't understand what its doing to me. Don't get me wrong, it was my decision to come off but how do I get him to understand its gonna hurt me in the meantime? He thinks I'm being silly and making it worse than it is. Its not that easy, it's a slow process. I wish he would understand 😞 he thinks I am a hypochondriac. And crazy I think. I am suffering soooo bad, he has chosen the worst time to ignore me and treat me like crap!!!

Advice please?? How do I make the withdrawals easier and how long will they last?? 

4 Replies 4

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Blooming_Bel, welcome to the forums. We have a number of threads on this topic, have a look through the list below to find members to reach out to:

Coming off antidepressants

Tapering off antidepressants

Recently come off antidepressants and struggling

Help! Antidepressant withdrawal and changeover

Long term antidepressants user and now off them - anyone else?

Antidepressant withdrawal

Paul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Blooming_Bel

It's a tough ride coming off some medications but luckily the ride doesn't last forever.

Have you had a chat with your Dr or your Pharmacist about anything that can be done to reduce the withdrawal effects?

I was thinking about how to explain to your husband that there are withdrawal effects and they are very real and difficult and wondered if the example of having a few drinks on a friday night then saturday feeling the effects of a hang over might help him understand that It's not hypochondria. Another may be that when you walk inside after being in the sun it takes time for your eyes to adjust. You've been on medication, you've come inside and it's difficult until you adjust.

Keep holding on Blooming_Bel this will pass. Please be really kind to yourself and it's OK to ask people not to drop by for a few days to catch your breath!

Let us know how you're going in a few days if you feel comfortable to.

Paul

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Blooming_Bel

Firstly, everyone is different, so everyone deals with withdrawals in their own way.

Secondly, dont do it unless your are ready.  As you have discovered it is no easy road.  Before I embarked on my journey, I had been discussing it with my psychs for quite a while.

I decided that I had to do it on my own, in solitude. I ended up having a wonderful journey through some of the most beautiful places in our country.  Me and my dog. 

I had decided to experiment with gradually reducing my medication (noting that when I started, I was on the maximum dose), with the objective of returning home with no reliance on meds.  I achieved my objective, I am now back home, and I have not swalled a pill for over a month.  Do I feel happier?  No!  But I feel better than when I was on meds.  I tell myself.  I am sufficiently self aware to know that I am likely to one day to have turn back to to medicine to balance my melancholic ways.  But so far I am OK, I think.

Did I go through hell in my withdrawal?  No, I did not.  I was lucky that I chose my travel destination to ensure that I could stay at places where I could practice meditation and mindfulness - and, although I am no expert, I found comfort in my efforts at doing so.  I was at peace with myself.  The point here is that, in my opinion,   you need to have the right environment if you are to attempt to separate yourself from the daily dose. 

Being in the right environment also means separating yourself (even if only temporarily) from the negativity of your existing circumstances - being either family or environment.   Because as you say, some people will never understand the pain and emotions that you will be going through.  Not their fault at all, its just that depression is just such a complex thing that is hard to explain and cannot be explained in a simple way that everyone will understand.

There is so much more to say, but I will leave it there.  If you would like to continue the conversation, I will look forward to your reply.

Take care

K

little_pepper
Community Member

Hi Blooming_Bel

I hope your feeling a bit better now and the side effects have stopped. I am coming of an antidepressant as well and have managed the side effects by coming off it over 3-4 months rather that the standard 5-6 weeks. Three months of weaning and im still experiencing dizziness but thankfully im still able to function. I also try and make things easier for myself by cooking leftovers and freezing meals and only cleaning when i have to (when people come over!) I also try to be kind to myself and accept any help that comes my way. Wishing you all the best -little pepper