FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Changing psychologists?

Guest_2350
Community Member

Sometimes I need to write things down and ask for another opinion to ensure I make the right decision.

I have been with my current psychologist for a few months and it has been pretty rough at times as this is the first time I am opening up about my past. I have been on and off thinking about changing psychs and also discussed this here and with my GP and psych and there are some reasons. I agreed with my GP to give it a go for another few months but now I am not so sure. I am worried about the timing and that I might be on long waiting lists again and that I might not find a better psych... but I don't feel safe. My psych has offered me support (sms, email, Skype) and does not follow through when I send messages. This frightens me as I have been spiraling at times when I go down memory lane. My psych also considered a treatment that he is new to and I don't want to be the guinea pig - I have too much to lose. I don't feel I get the support to learn new techniques, getting a link to a website is not sufficient - I was overwhelmed looking at the website and was not able to read through the long content. I am struggling to identify feelings and don't think I can learn reflecting techniques on my own - they scare me and I just don't do them. Communication between my GP and my psych is non existent. I get on well with my GP and hope to bridge the time until I can find a new psych with my GP. I am currently having to deal with it all on my own anyway, as I am traveling and I think I can just try and bottle it all up for a little longer as I have done for decades. I am worried about starting all over again and I am also worried that I might just be closing up again - I start feeling like I am shutting the world out.

Am I wrong to think this way? How can I ensure to find a psych that is a better fit? Am I just trying to talk myself out of this journey?

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi yggy,

Re: "Am I wrong to think this way?". You are never wrong to think any way at all. Never. You are the client, the patient and the person getting the treatment. Your comfort is more important than anyone elses needs.

So this "journey" is yours, pursue it, travel it and down the track a little as you begin to sort yourself out, by all means enjoy it. Be positive by thinking positive. This need to think positive is really important. To help you with that I've listed below several articles I have written here on BB forums that you can google. Google them how they are written and good luck.

Topic: Success!!! 53 years of hell now 5 years of contentment  beyondblue

Topic: Confidence-how do you get it?  beyondblue

Topic: Motivation– search and rescue it  beyondblue

Topic: What life can be like at the end of the tunnel beyondblue

Topic: Being positive – what’s the secret? beyondblue

Topic: 30 minutes can change your life    beyondblue

Topic: UPSET? and desperate…some ideas beyondblue

Tony WK

Dear Tony, thank you for your post. I have been trying to read the threats in quiet times.I feel abandoned by my psych. First time in so many decades I open up and I feel abandoned. I was always left to fight my own battles and it is happening again. I don't want to fight anymore. i don't want to face my demons on my own. I hate feeling this way. 

dear Yggy, I'm sure that this question comes to many people's concern, and it's a real situation where you don't feel comfortable with your current psychologist.

Exactly the same question came to me, as I had seen my psychologist for about 20 years, but she just left, although she told me a long time ago that this would happen, but she was someone I totally trusted and liked, remembered all my family names, as well as other people, so I was disappointed when she left.

My doctor wanted to refer me to another psychologist in the same building, so I saw him for a few months, but he always had an answer, a reason and often disagreed to what I was saying, so what I wanted to talk about ended straight away because he wanted to say what he thought, so I haven't seen him for a couple of months and probably won't.

Have you clicked onto 'Get Support' at the top where there are doctors who maybe able to help you, other than that ring the BB phone number.

It is a big decision to make, but if you don't connect with this person then it's pointless seeing him, especially if he wants you to try and do something that you don't agree with, then you must tell him, and if he can't change his counselling methods, then his main goal is to try something that doesn't suit you. Geoff.