FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ADHD and comorbid illnesses?

incrediblytired
Community Member
About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed and finally received treatment for bipolar type 2 which is great! Unfortunately, since settling into my medication (which I now suspect may need adjusting anyway) I've come to the realization that... this did not solve all my problems the way I thought it would. In fact, now that my worse bipolar symptoms are manageable, things I hadn't realized how bad I was struggling with before have been highlighted. Things like attention and focus and other things, that when I looked into it, seem like it could be ADHD.
Both my brother and my nephew have it, so it already runs in my family, and reading through some explanations and testimonies it feels like getting smacked in the face with the other half of my problems I didn't realize WERE problems. I was too focused on my bipolar issues to be concerned about everything else.
Does anybody else have experience with comorbid illnesses like this? What's your experience when floating the idea to your psych or doctors? I have not seen my psychiatrist in so long that when I called her old offices I was told she no longer works there and she's started her on private practice (she's the only psych in our whole town). Not to mention, she is... not a very friendly, supportive doctor and I'm anxious to bring up these questions with her if I'm likely to just be brushed off.
2 Replies 2

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi incrediblytired,

I just saw that your post hasn't been answered in a few days and I'm really sorry that you've gone without a reply.

I'm not sure how much advice and support that I can give, but by replying it will 'bump up' this post to the top and hopefully you can get some more input from others in the same situation.

What I will say though, is that you're the boss of your own healthcare. While it can seem (and sometimes happen) that people get fobbed off, you know you best. For me personally with other co-morbid illnesses, I've had experiences of being dismissed cruelly and then I've had other experiences of really productive conversations.

I hope that you'll bring this up and have positive feedback, but if not don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and keep trying until you find someone who can be on your team.

rt

Sarah0209
Community Member

Hi there,

Reading you post I had to do a double take as I swear I could’ve written it myself! My son, brother, mother and aunt all have ADHD and I have been wondering for years if I have it too. I display all the symptoms my son has and find that I overwhelm myself ona regular basis with all the things I do and activities I sign up for but I just cannot stop. The minute I do I’m bored and depressed.

Today I actually have an appointment with my dr and this will be something I’ll be mentioning. I could be totally wrong but I feel like it just makes sense! If not, I’m wrong! No harm in suggesting! What so ever! They may have a valid reason for your behaviour! My sons paed. Told me it is most commonly hereditary so it would make sense!

good luck! Speak up! Plant the seed!