FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Trying to help my dad

N15
Community Member
Hi all. First time posting and was hoping for some help and guidance. My dad is not well and I’m a little lost on what to do and how to deal with it. He is 71 and retired. His love is football and swimming, but with everything going on at the moment he is going down hill. He has three gorgeous grandchildren and a supportive family around, but didn’t think he needs help. What can I do?????
5 Replies 5

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Its very thoughtful of you to give care.

What condition does your father have? Has he been diagnosed with any illness?

As for emotional support footy is back this week. He might pick up

TonyWK

N15
Community Member
Hi, thanks for your response. My dad has had depression over the last 12 years. It comes and goes. He thinks he’s better and comes off his medication and then he just goes back to thinking he is hopeless. It’s so hard seeing my dad that way. How do I get him back to see a doctor when he doesn’t think anything is wrong. He doesn’t want to go.

josh1245
Community Member

hey N15 I would firstly like to welcome you to the online community and I'm really sorry that your dad is currently going through this hard time and you are family are going through a hard time at the moment. mental illness still has a negative stigma and sometimes its seen as weakness for some. I hope he decides soon that its ok not be ok and get some help.

Well said Zjodh

m15, we get this problem often, be it denial, stubbornness or falsely thinking one is ok to go off meds. The cold hard truth is, there isn’t an awe full lot anyone can do about it.

It is sad because I’m a person that resigned to lifelong medication from first diagnosed with bipolar and depression so I don’t really understand his mentality towards this yo-yo effect.

My only suggestions is to suggest to him that a change of meds might suit him better. Also becoming a footy member if a club would be if benefit. You might even ask the footy club he follows to get a player to ring him welcoming him to the supporter base.

Such proactive measures is all you can do to help out

Please place this in the search bar

is there room for stubbornness?

medication is s whirlpool

TonyWK

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello N15, you are so kind and thoughtful wanting to help your dad as those above have said

Being 71 and if he lives by himself, life has dramatically changed from 40 years ago both physically and mentally and I say this because I'm 65.

As he is a footy fan, does he barrack for one of the teams playing tonight?

When we are old, we believe that we have experienced and can do everything, but we can't and to admit we can't, takes a great deal of strength, which I hope your dad can find.

We would love to talk to him and there will be no pressure at all but would like to say hello.

Take care and thank you.

Geoff.