FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,006 Replies 1,006

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks sleepy it is just about a matter of being there for them and being judgemental.We all make mistakes in our lives and this is when we need someone the most who cares.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Tomorrow will be a big day for my daughter as she will be 18.I made her a cake today and wrapped her presents why she was at TAFE .She is really enjoying Tafe.I gave her driving lesson on the way home.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark,

That sounds great! Your daughter will be thrilled.

I'm so glad to hear she's enjoying TAFE, that will really boost her confidence.

And giving her a driving lesson is a great step too. That's a skill she will probably need in a regional area, and give her more access to employment in the future too. Plus self confidence!

Sounding good my friend! Cheers.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks Hanna and she was talking about applying to do volunteering at the RSPCA now she is 18.Ond day a week would be ok as its an hour's drive from here.Its a relief for me that shes enjoying Tafe.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Sounds great 👍 happy she's got the volunteer prospect and some good options

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Where has the last 18 years gone.I remember this day to well 18 years ago.I took my wife to the hospital at 7am and had the longest day waitimg and at 7.05pm I was holding her for the first time.

Hanna3
Community Member

Life rushes by too fast Mark! The babies grow up! 🙂

Volunteering at the RSPCA would be great as she'd get some experience and any future employer would like the fact that she was prepared to do volunteer work.

Ages ago I was a volunteer worker with the RSPCA in Canberra, I walked the dogs for them, they had a lovely forest nearby that I'd walk the dogs through.

They were desperate for people to walk the big dogs as most people only wanted to walk the little dogs.

The big dogs were stuck in cages most of the day. Some of them were terribly traumatised from being abandoned by their owners. It was sad, I wished I could have kept them all! But at least I could take them out for a happy walk.

Your daughter will be doing very useful work helping to care for these poor creatures.

It will be good for your daughter to feel useful and know she's helping the animals and the people working there.

Sounds like your daughter is doing well! 🙂🐕

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
The meeting at the school on Friday sounded a bit depressing.Basically said my son is so far behind the others and can't write that he will have no future at high school and wouldn't even get a high school certificate.By the sounds of it they have given up on him.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Probably more they don't have time or care but I reckon they're wrong to make predictions

With bit of extra help many kids catch up.

Kids learn at diff paces, sometimes with reading it just clicks when it does

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Unfortunately I couldn't make the meeting yesterday and have to rely on what was said from what my ex told me.I am very disappointed in this meeting and what was discussed.They should have been focusing on what he can do and what measures can be put in place to improve his level of learning.Probably does come down to money.