FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newbie here

Jodmay85
Community Member

Hello everyone I am new here and I am struggling to deal with a 15yr old boy who has mental health problems and being a 15yr old who just wants to push your buttons.

he has just come out saying he thinks he may be gay and I am totally okay and supportive about it.. but now he doesn’t want to go to school and argues with me everyday about going...

anything I say or do I am wrong to him, he thinks I don’t care and I don’t understand.. he is making me feel like I am a bad parent and that I don’t care when I absolutely do and everything I do is to make him a better person and so he will be able to deal with life as an adult.. he has had mental health issues for a few years now and i went through it as a single mum, his mental health issues have cause a lot of relationships to fail.. I have now been in a relationship for 12month but once again my sons mental health issues are putting stress on our relationship.. is it wrong that this makes me angry and upset?
why can’t I be happy for once? I mean my children will always come first but don’t I deserve some happiness? I am drained from dealing with a very difficult child for years and I don’t know how much more I can take..

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi, welcome

I am one to think "outside the box" with topics such as this.

At 4 days past my 17th birthday I joined the air force. I had only completed year 10- just passed. Although I only was in it for 3 years it set me up for many other professions- warder, dog ranger, etc.

His history with mental illness would likely prohibit his joining such organizations but my idea is to present alternatives to him other than school. School isn't suitable for every child especially with special needs. Such children can find school a place too challenging and uncomfortable.

What is his interests? Tinkering? Building? Mechanics? An apprenticeship? Or even him leaving school to get a job?

Such directions might lead to him realising he could save money for a car and so forth. If that changes his outlook then you might get him on side in a team effort.

He's not your run of the mill child, he is an individual with unique needs and school isn't helping him in life right now. He can always return down the track.

I hope you are ok.
TonyWK

I agree with TonyWK, school is not for everyone and some people even need that year or so o'off' getting real world experience before coming back and completing they education as Mature Entry students.

This has not been an ordinary year and for many of us that has added stressors, if your son is disagreeing with you on a point, like what movie to watch as a simple example, asking them what alternative they might prefer to engage them on the process more can be helpful, alternatively if you try boiling the decision down to two options (both of which you are happy with) for them to decide between, does that provide enough of an illusion of control for the child?

Teen years tend to be when people become egocentric and their issues and worries trump all of those around them. Part of growing up is them, realising that it's not about them, and when it is about them, you act in their best interests as their parent.

Also parenting support websites can be a good resource: https://www.dss.gov.au/families-and-children

If you are intending on continuing with your current partner, who makes you happy, great! Having a conversation with your partner about the situation to get their feelings and observations may help you parent your child, they may also be willing to co-parent, that is something to discuss so you both have clear idea about expectations.

Talking with the child about your dating situation may also help if the child is "acting up" out of any perceived loss of attention, because for children attention=love. Finding alternate ground for you to spend time together may help maintain the 'family' he perceives as the two of you.

Just ideas to ponder, hopefully helpful.