FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Partner Has Depression.

T81
Community Member

Hello, I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. My beautiful parter has depression and he is in a pretty bad place at the moment  (it only happens a few of times a year) and I don't know how to act. What to do, say etc. and I am feeling completely crap. I know that  what he says/ does when he is in his hole is not him but to be honest it is weighing me right down and I don't know how I am meant to hold it together when he makes me feel  like I am worthless.

our relationship  is probably like most relationships, with its ups and downs. It is just a lot harder when the depression hits. 

My question is,  how am I to act? Do I ignore his  nasty mood and be normal and happy and wait for it to pass? Or do I leave him alone to deal with it himself? Or do I mollycoddle him? I am so very confused, sad and hurt and really don't know what to do. Any help Would be much appreciated. Thanks 🙂

3 Replies 3

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi T81,

Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have been living with your partner for a while, to be able to recognise the patterns in his behaviour. This is a positive thing, what isn't so good is that it is having an effect on you. It is important that during these difficult periods that you look after your own wellbeing too.

If you take a look at this section of the beyondblue website, you will find information that should answer a great deal of your questions, as well as provide some important tips on how to take care of yourself.

Please remember you can also call our support service at any time on 1300 22 4636 as well as coming here to keep us updated on how things are going at home. A lot of people find the forums very helpful not just as a place to ask questions, but as a 'venting space' for things that are going on in their lives and to get some support from others who understand the position you're in.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear T81, Christopher has given you a site to look at, and I must say that by him joining in with different websites and directions has been a great addition for all of us, as none of this ever happened before, so his knowledge is invaluable to all of us.

Can I ask you, in that you say your partner gets really depressed a 'few times a year', so I wonder whether or not you notice that he maybe trying to cover it up, like we do, and that's with a fake face, because depression is always there, but he may try to hide it from you.

Everybody behaves in a different way, some like to be mollycoddled at first, but as time passes they can get annoyed and want to be left alone, so there are a few options for you, 1 just tell him that you are there for him anytime he wants to talk, or 2 that he go and see his doctor, however sometimes it could be suggested when he is not in one of these depressive moods, because his mind will better to comprehend this suggestion and not so reactive, or 3 see if he would like to go for a walk.

The other problem is that he makes statements which definitely hurt you, but it's depression that controls on what he does say, and I'm totally sure that he does love you to pieces, and as painful this is to you, just walk away from him and leave him alone.

People on the reserving end are always targeted, but then this affects you, as it upsets you and makes you feel begin to feel down, and this can lead to you having depression yourself, because it's just like magnetic, it draws you in, and when he recovers you may not, so I suggest that you see your doctor by yourself, but he too needs professional help, and please there is NO weakness in doing so, as this illness destroys anybody who is unfortunate enough to get it, so your health is just as important as his.

I really hope that you get back to us, as there is a huge amount of support here for you and this includes myself. L Geoff. x

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi T81

Again, welcome to Beyond Blue and well done for reaching out here to seek advice and support.  You'll receive both here from the wonderful members who are on this site, who are all sufferers of this awful illness.

As Christopher said, it's great that you're able to determine when the difficult periods are and now we need to try and give you assistance to cope with it. 

It is not good though that your partner is making you feel bad and giving you grief.  But again, that's another aspect of this terrible illness and what it does.

Do you know whether he's ever had professional help with this condition?  How long does it last for?   Also, are you aware of what may trigger it?  

Sorry for those questions, but it may help with others as well when we read this to be able to better informed to help you with this.

Hope to hear back from you

Kind regards

Neil