FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My boyfriend has anxiety and depression

RubyA
Community Member

My boyfriend has anxiety and depression. We have only been together for 12 months but we have been through so much together it feels as though it has been much longer. I am currently at a loss as to how to help him and i did not know where else to go for help. I don't want to let him go, i care about him, i love him, but the past few months i feel as though i am being pulled into his spiral. I am struggling to understand the illness and how to manage being a partner to a person who is trying to conquer it. 

1 Reply 1

Rain_Girl
Community Member

Hey Ruby

I'm in the opposite position to you, my partner and I have been living together for going on 2 years now and from when we first started he knew all about my anxiety. I was scared that he wouldn't even want to date me but he did. My anxiety rears it's ugly head in a physical way, I throw up. Its like anorexia but alot less frequent and without the body image problems, i love my figure, and if anything would like to put weight on. Sometimes though I just feel so down and question why he would ever want to be with me when there are a billion other girls who dont have any baggage. 

I know from experience that when you're dealing with depression/anxiety that when I push people away its more the silent scream for love and support. I do it all the time and it plays mind games with my partner as he finds it hard to keep up. I will be icy cold towards him and then get even more furious when he wont cuddle up to me... I guess what I'm saying is sometimes its testing, and exhausting for the partner, and by no means do you deserve it but as a partner who is going through this journey, support is the main thing. If he is seeing a psychologist, offer to go with him:)