FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Local Police Staion can be a great place to call in a threatened suicide crisis.

Doog
Community Member

Hi everyone, I've been around for a few years now, mainly just coping and improving with much work on myself, but also with my emergency supply of my own private meds my Doctor approves as a go to in crisis. Two days ago I was confronted with a desperate call from my son who informed me his girlfriend wanted to end her life. For all the years of random counselling, and reading about mental illness, I suddenly found myself in a panic.

I called Headspace, as she is just 18 and they directed me to Police. Having no confirmed location on the girl, I was unable to call 000. So I called my local Police Station. For those who are unaware, as I was, you can call your local Police for these emergencies. They were so helpful and stayed on the lin with me as we tried to get my son to coax her location.

She was at work we found half hour later, and Police dispatched a unit to protect her. She was transferred to Ambulance and taken to hospital for further assessment. So if you guys find yourself in a panic over anyone, Local Police are amazing when you have no location to call triple zero.

I certainly would never have thought to call them. Hope it helps someone.

10 Replies 10

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi all

i was verbally abused and insulted by a police officer (basically called me crazy, hysterical, and a menace) a few years ago and it really was disappointing.

I have also been suicidal and police were sent to my apartment and it was quite helpful. I didn't answer a suicidal check in call, so they sent the police to my apartment. Have never called 000 before for assistance from the police re suicidality, but I have called the Psychiatric Crises Support Team at the hospital, and they can send over the police if they are worried about u.

It was fine and non-invasive the way the police did that. I wasn't home, so they left.

I didn't know prior to that how police can get involved in checking on ppl's safety from suicide. I wander how many ppl know exactly who to call. Ppl say Call 000 or call triage but it's scary and confusing when u don't know what they each do.

I find triage helpful and the police can do some things to help.