FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I don't know how to help my friend tell his parents about his mental health

TahliaKate
Community Member
My friend has recently told me and his partner about his struggle with depression, anxiety and bipolar. We have since encouraged him to see the doctors which he has done. He has been put on some medication but has another appointment coming up. We are left with no idea what to do because he refuses to tell his parents and we found out that he has started to self harm. He has started to be open with us about the extremes of his mental health but we are struggling so much. We have considered telling his parents ourselves however we don't want to break his trust, but that means that have to figure out a way to get him to talk to them. He has told us that he doesn't want to upset his family but we know that they will help him. Please keep in mind that we are only teenagers
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey TahliaKate,
  Welcome to the forums! We're so grateful that you have reached out here, we know that it is not an easy thing to do, but it is so important that you have. We're really sorry to hear what your friend is going through at the moment, but he sounds very lucky to have such a caring friend like yourself. Please know that you've come to a safe space to talk about these thoughts and feelings and our wonderful community is here to offer as much support and advice as you need.   If you feel up to it, we'd also recommend getting in touch with our Support Service which is available 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or you can visit on our website www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport for online chat. One of our friendly counsellors will be able to give you some information and advice to help you and your friend.    You might also like to reach out to our friends at Kids Helpline who are available 24/7 for young people 25 and under, and can provide some really great advice and support. You can get in touch by phone (1800 55 1800) and also via their webchat at https://kidshelpline.com.au/   We hope that you keep checking back in with us to let us know how you are going, whenever you feel up to it.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello TahliaKate, thanks for posting your comment and sincerely wanting to help your friend in this awkward situation where you are caught between a rock and a hard place, knowing what you believe is the right action but unable to follow through.

His parents may already realise that something maybe wrong but too afraid to mention it, and being a parent I understand how this feels.

One of the main problems is that it's beginning to affect you as it's an enormous weight for you to carry and know that his parents would really want to help him, especially if he is struggling with depression, anxiety and bipolar, although I'm not a doctor.

Ask him if he thinks his parents already know by mentioning something he may do out of character and any reaction from his parents, that could be a way to make him realise they may know.

Look forward to hearing back from you at your own convenience.

Geoff.