FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do you deal with a lack of intimacy?

Oliphant
Community Member

My wife has severe depression & anxiety. She’s receiving medical help for that.

Since the birth of our child, several years ago, she’s been anti any sort of intimacy. I’m actually very surprised these days to get anything other than a negative response if I so much as try to hold hands.

So, what do I do? Obviously I really don’t want to carry on like this. But I don’t want to turn my back on my family, either.

Ideas?

Experiences?

12 Replies 12

Thank you, PPE.

No, nothing beyond a friendly hello, goodbye hug occasionally. My wife shuns all contact with me, except when I'm dropping her at the hospital. I don't even know if that's genuine or an act for the care staff.

Last night I was relegated to the spare room (as normal - we've kept separate bedrooms for some time now) although it was her first night home from hospital in weeks, in favour of our son sharing the bed. That has made me extremely angry & upset, but she can't see why. I don't feel I can talk to her about it though as;

a) She is not capable of mature thinking these days. She thinks she is, but it's all emotional, like a small child.

b) it'll just start a fight that I simply cannot be bothered with having. Plus I'm worried where it would end.

c) I worry greatly that giving her some home truths from my perspective will set her back quite heavily. (A large part of her depression is guilt)

She' always happy to cuddle our son - as am I - who's very affectionate & loves to cuddle. Obviously that's not the same for me, and besides he's getting to an age where I feel it's less appropriate, for me at least.

Maybe be one of those support groups would help a bit.

At the moment I just feel - like a few others have posted - desperate for some adult affection & company.

As soon as I get a proper link to mental health carer support groups (other than Victorian which is already up), I will post them. However, the Carers XXXXX organisation in your state or territory should be able to help you with this if you call them.

I don't know if you have attended any workshops run by professionals for mental health carers, but I also recommend them, if you haven't, or even if you just want to meet other carers to laugh, cry, and hug.

I believe you can find these via the National Carer Gateway if you use Find a Service and choose "Information and Planning Services"

I can certainly recommend the wonderful carer education courses run by Wellways (nationally from the looks of it) https://www.wellways.org/our-services/support-families-friends-and-carers

They are a good way to connect with other carers while learning the most up to date information.

Good luck!

PPE

Skary Bill
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Oliphant, Not being able to talk with her about it sounds brutal. Have you two done any couple's counselling?

The problem with not talking stuff like this through is that it just gets harder the more time passes. Gets to the point where when you finally do get to say something, what comes out isn't even what you most need to say and the conversation just goes sideways. If some couples mediation isn't an option.. How about putting your heartfelt thoughts in writing... A valentines letter? Keep a diary you might be able to share. Something that is all about how you love and miss her... But keeps any built resentment out of the equation.

Wishing you well.

Bill