FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Homeschooling A Child With A Mental Health Condition

SapereAude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have children with a mental health condition and you have had to home-school them?

Are you able to share any tips on how they can benefit the most from these challenging times?

Background:- Miss 7 (grade 1) has ADHD, is on medication but still finds it hard to concentrate. I'm working from home whilst trying to home-school her again so I'd appreciate any tips you can share please. I'm sure there are others in the same boat or similar too. 🙂

Take care. Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi SapereAude I to have kids that have ADHD,anxiety,depression and Autism.I found having routine for the kids for home schooling and making it like a normal school day helped maby even having them wear the school uniform.It was a difficult thing and understand what you are going through.

Tale care,

Mark.

pvroom
Community Member
Do you have an OT, psych or speechie?

SapereAude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Miss 7 has a paediatrician who has prescribed her a common ADHD drug. She was also seeing a psychologist under a mental healthcare plan but we haven’t been able to continue with it as she has exhausted her covered visits and we can’t afford to pay for extra visits.

I home schooled my son years ago. He was in high school & had different issues to your child so what worked for me might not work but you can decide if it might help.

I did the most difficult tasks in the morning when he was fresh. For particularly challenging tasks I used to set the timer & he would do as much as possible before the timer went & then he was allowed to run around outside for a short time before coming back to the task. This enabled him to focus on the task properly knowing he had a break coming up. After lunch we went for a ride/ bike ride together. He enjoyed riding & was happy to ride back & forward while I walked. On return home he was happy to do the subjects he found easier.

I had him enrolled in distance ed so the teachers there marked his work & gave him feedback. This avoided me being the one setting the work or marking it. I was just involved in helping & encouraging him which sat better with my role as parent. It doing remote learning ask your child's teacher to provide the feedback. Small successes are encouraging.