FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Helping Someone Who Is Depressed

Hmmmmmm
Community Member

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with my boyfriend at the moment. I think he is depressed or struggling and I'm not sure on the best way to help him. I'll admit he has had to put up with more than most recently, but he is gradually getting more and more lifeless.

He has issues with his car at the moment, he can't drive it and won't be able to for a few months so he is housebound. His housemate is a bit older and not quite as energetic as he usually is, so I think he feels trapped. He is not working at the moment as he suffered from Meningitis, Pneumonia and a bunch of other stuff so he lost his job because of it.  On top of that he broke his arm. He wants to study to become a paramedic next year, which I really love and admire him for, but I want to help him as much as possible beforehand. His mother lives in rural Victoria and he has no other family, which makes me worry a bit more. 

I'm trying to keep him positive by calling him everyday, and by planning outings so he has something to look forward to. But I'm working a lot and I'm not sure that what I'm doing is the best thing for him. 

Could someone please offer some advice?

2 Replies 2

JN2014
Community Member

Hi

As a parent of 6 children I have found that sometimes less is more.  I am not advocatiing this as a "fix-all" as I said "sometimes" perhaps you should let him take his course - quite often people left to their own devices make good.  He may feel like he is being smothered, not a feeling we want to pass to our partners.  I know your heart is in the right palce, now just let your logic follow.  He has had some setbacks but I am sure he will sort them through.  Public Transport is not as formidable or scary as it sounds - I had to do it for 3 months - he will cope.  Maybe what I am trying to say is - Stop being so protective and he will grow.  Sorry if this sounds harsh.

All the best

JN2014

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Welcome to BB. I hope we can help you and provide a few tips.

Your boyfriend can be pleased that he has someone to care about him. It sounds as though he has been through a lot. All those illnesses. Was he in hospital for a while? It sounds as though he should have been.

Feeling pretty down after all that seems quite normal to me. And ending up with a broken arm must be the last straw. Also being away from family can be upsetting.

I presume he is still receiving medical treatment. Does he see his GP? Perhaps you could get him to tell his GP how miserable he is feeling. Any decent GP will pick up on this and pursue it further. The key really is to talk to a doctor, even if it is his orthopedic doctor, so they are aware of his difficulties.

Feeling listless can be the result of the illnesses he has had and may go away as he regains his strength, but if you are concerned then it is time for him to see his doctor.

Getting your boyfriend out of the house is a good way to go. Sunshine and fresh air are really powerful aids. Also gentle walks as I expect he is not up to doing much just yet. Exercise and sun are proven antidotes to depression, even in small amounts.

If he wishes to study in the near future can he start any reading or investigating his options? Having a goal is important and doing some research into the necessary training is both practical for his ambition and will give him something constructive to do. Talking and texting can be tiring, so keep it a minimum. Just keeping him company is comforting and does not place a strain on his fragility.

Keep posting here and tell us how you are managing.

Regards

LING