FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Advice on depression - first steps

BW75
Community Member
My husband is displaying characteristics of being depressed or anxious and at work is predominately where these behaviours are displayed. Feeling really emotional, upset belly, lack of concentration, self esteem and motivation. Last week he took a week off work to just 'unwind' and see if that could re-set the system. By day 3 back at work this week, it all feels the same again. It's not a long term solution but to kick start improvement is it best he just stops working for the moment??? He has got a referral to our counsellor and will begin these sessions next week but I cant imagine the despair in coming to work feeling like this each day. Or is it a cop out?
6 Replies 6

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi BW,

Welcome to Beyondblue. Thanks for showing concerns for your husband. It can be really difficult to see someone you love suffering. 

Has your husband discussed any particular problems he is having at work? Pressure, bullying, being constantly switched on, not enjoying the role or tasks? It would be good to get a clear picture of why work has become a stressor.

I think in the short term an extended period of sick leave would be useful, and if he can see his counsellor at least a few times during this period that would help. Has his GP discussed the option of medication?  This could be worthwhile exploring. 

Is he having struggles with other daily tasks? Is he still engaged in pleasurable activities? Sport, hobbies, exercise, eating?  Is he sleeping ok? This can sometimes really impact on someone's state of mind, if they aren't getting enough sleep. 

I don't think it's a cop out but perhaps some extended leave first before he decides whether or not to resign. 

AGrace

BW75
Community Member

Thank you AGrace.

Not sure why work is a stressor. He is working with a psychologist on this at the moment which is great as well as some simple tools to deal with in the moment anxiety. 

I think he's stuck now in place of just being flat and just not being able to commit and make a decision.

Daily tasks are now suffering in that he is trying to do things that he gets enjoyment out of but feeling 'dampened' most of the time by an inability to feel as good as he usually does.

Work has been reasonable supportive which is great. 

Thanks.

BeeGee
Community Member

It's possible that work is not the problem - he may have become depressed because he is predisposed to depression, and work is simply the biggest thing on the radar.

I had lots of struggles at work for lots of years, to the point where I decided to change careers. In the process of studying for my new career I discovered that I am depressed and never knew... and probably had been since my early teens. All the times when I hated work, it was probably really me that was the problem - I had undiagnosed and untreated depression. I was flat, struggled with daily tasks, found no enjoyment in anything any more, had a short fuse, was grumpy and judgemental frequently - sound familiar?

It's great that your husband is seeking help - that's so important. As AGrace said above, it's really worth considering getting his GP in on the plan too - people often find medications in conjunction with counselling or psychological interventions to be more effective than either approach alone. It might only be for a temporary period to help him out of his hole, or meds might be needed longer term for him to remain healthy... they aren't anything to be afraid of. If you need them you need them, if you don't you don't.

There are lots of things my wife struggles with about my "new" diagnosis (it's only been a couple of months); I think that's pretty normal and maybe you do too. Don't be afraid to talk about your feelings too. I was glad to hear my wife sharing her mixed feelings about it.

BW75
Community Member

thank you. Yes i suspect that work is not necessarily the overall reason, there's been lots of other things going on in our lives that have not been so easy for the past 5 years and I think things have just piled up on top of him... he is on some medication at the moment, as prescribed by GP and seeing a psychologist recommended by gp. Which is great. I'm not a huge fan of the medication as I'm seeing it have more side effects than benefits at the moment but I'm trying to stay open minded and just all round supportive.

Thanks

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi BW,

How long has he been taking the medication for?

It can take a while for meds to start having an effect, and often they make you feel worse before better. Medication can also be reviewed regularly. Some people tolerate certain types better than others. The Drs also start with a low dose, but the dose can be increased if it's having little effect. Keep the GP informed about any side effects so this can be monitored.

At least it's the weekend now, so he get's a couple of days off work I hope. Has he decided whether he will take some leave from work?

BeeGee's right, work may not be the issue at all, however if it's causing more distress than help then it still might be a good idea for him to take some time off.

Have a lovely weekend:)

AGrace

BeeGee
Community Member

That's great that you are such a support for him. If he's not able to articulate yet how much he values that, I'm sure he will when he is better.  Thank you for being a committed and caring support.

Yes, meds can take a while. I was just having a whinge earlier today about my impatience with my own regimen. The first one I tried only lasted 5 days because the side effects were intolerable. The second one did nothing for four weeks but no side effects, so I'm now on double the dose and have had four weeks with only one "good" day to show for it. I suspect next week when I have my follow-up my GP will be changing me again to something else.  It's frustrating and tedious and tries the patience, but it's worth persevering (I have to keep telling myself that). The stories from those who have pushed through and found the right drug/s and doses are always encouraging - they really can help. I guess it's worth remembering that this is a marathon, not a sprint. As mentioned above, if he's not happy with this one - try something else. Lather, rinse, and repeat as required.