FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Advice on being there for a friend with PTSD

oz_robbo
Community Member

I have a work colleague who has become a very close, dear and important friend to me in a very short space of time. She suffers from PTSD, I want to be the best friend I can be for her. I listen, don't judge, and as best as a Male can, I try not to offer solutions to try and fix everything.

Any other advice would be appreciated. This girl means a lot to me. I just want to be there for her.

3 Replies 3

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Oz Robbo

From what you've provided so far, you're making a very good start with things.  So firstly, well done to you on that front already.

Your friend has obviously opened up to you about her PTSD, which is a good thing that she's able to share (I guess to a degree) what's troubling her.

You can offer her support;    a shoulder to lean on or cry on if needed;   and as you've said to listen - so to offer a supportive ear for her to unload as well.

Other things that you could possibly suggest or find out are what other kinds of support does she have at the moment?   Has she seen a GP at all for some possible professional assistance;   and with that, depending on the level and extent of the PTSD, there are a whole host of people who need further support (ie:  psychologist or psychiatrist) - but I'm just more so telling you that for your own knowledge.  It should be up to her GP to advise of those avenues.

So yeah, just continue to be there in a supporting role;   perhaps offer the option of GP and you could even be an option of driving her as an option and with work to try and help out there too, to possibly lighten her load.

Just thoughts of mine Oz Robbo.  I hope I've helped out in some way for you and again, good on you for the support you're showing to your co-worker.

Kind regards

Neil

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear oz robbo, welcome to BB and thanks for caring for your work colleague.

It's a very important role for you and especially for her, as she needs be able to trust someone who won't criticise her and listen to what she wants to say, although at times this maybe difficult for her to say everything and this can happen because our minds become clogged up with all our negative thoughts when depression rules our life.

You won't be able to promise that her world will change all of a sudden, because that's being unrealistic, it will happen gradually, and only once it starts to get better down the track, then she will be able to overcome her depression, but then she also suffers from PTSD which is an addition to her illness, so she really needs professional help with this, as it can be an ongoing pressure.

I don't know whether she has opened up about this to you, as sometimes it can be a hidden problem with her only recognising the minor occurrence but it can go much deeper than this.

I hope that you can get back to us. Geoff.

oz_robbo
Community Member

Thankyou both Neil & Geoff. Its nice to be so welcome and have such understanding people. 

My Friend is on top of it all she has a great GP and a great Mental health team to help her. Im so proud of her. The most amazing think is, the day we met we clicked. Similar interests, similar medical issues lol, there is an understanding between us.

I just wanted to double check I guess, that what I thought, are the right things to do. Thankyou so much.