FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling to cope with intrusive thoughts of risky behavior/sh

Giggyy
Community Member

Hi recently i started having more and more intrusive thoughts about hurting myself or doing stupid things like drinking (im underage) or taking loads of over-the-counter stuff to get high or something... i so far havent acted on these thoughts but its so hard to keep them out and im so scared ill break eventually and do something really stupid... i am struggling to keep consequences in perspective despite having consequences before (an infection from self-harm); which is what stopped me for a while but now i cant keep a level head and keep myself safe for much longer i think, im very tired and scared...

any advice on how to deal with this would be so helpful id be so grateful 

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey Giggyy, 

It was so brave of you to reach out here. We can understand how difficult it must be to deal with intrusive thoughts. Thank you for letting us know about this and you should be proud of yourself for coming here for help.

Please know that we are concerned about your wellbeing, and we would like to talk through these feelings with you, so a member of our team will be getting in touch with you privately. If you feel unable to keep yourself from acting on your thoughts about self-harm, this is an emergency, and you need to call 000 (triple zero). If you do not require immediate support, we’d suggest reaching out to Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800). Kids Helpline offers free phone counselling services 24/7 or you could also contact that via email or webchat through their website: https://kidshelpline.com.au/  Hopefully, you’ll hear from this lovely community soon. Maybe you could help them along by letting us know what kind of support you have at the moment, and if anyone around you is helpful or understanding with how you’re feeling? Kind regards,   Sophie M 

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Giggyy,

Thanks for your post! I'm really glad you've posted because your thoughts and concerns are things that unfortunately a lot of people also suffer from, and it can be really hard to deal with on your own. I've had similar experiences and I really understand what you mean by struggling to keep consequences in perspective.

When I was really suffering from bad depression and intrusive thoughts 6 years ago, I also became aware at some point that I was no longer very good at taking care of myself. I was still managing, but barely, and I definitely needed help.

Have you got any support from any counsellors, or even just friends and family who know what is going on for you at the moment?

James