FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

strong urges

Tamrby
Community Member
i have been clean for almost 2 months now, im super proud of myself, but after not really thinking about it for days I will randomly get really strong urges? AAh i know its probably normal but its really not fun, anyone got any tips to deal with urges?
43 Replies 43

Here2Talk
Community Member

That’s great to hear your are still passing despite not studying. From what I remember only grade 11 and twelve count towards your final result at the end of school: is this still the case?

Yes procrastination is the worst. To be honest, I am one of them 😜 but as the years go on I am getting better at overcoming it. Part of academic success is dependent on the intelligence you were born with, but part of it is your work ethic. A good thing you can look at is how you study (the particular methods), but a big part is also just how often you manage to sit down and open your books/laptop etc. That hurdle is the part that actually causes the most anxiety (not sure if you experience this), and once you start to focus on the work and not on harshly judging yourself, it’s usually a lot easier on the mind- I have found anyway.

any thoughts on all of that?

Tamrby
Community Member

I think now its from year 10 as it starts on your ROSA (record of school acheivement) I have found that once I actually start the work I feel a bit better.

Here2Talk
Community Member
I see. The fact that you’re still trying despite experiencing problems is something you should commend yourself for. It’s always easy to give up on trying. Do you have any idea if there’s anything you might want to do after school?

Tamrby
Community Member
I want to do a theatre making degree and hoping to get early entry so I don't have to worry about ATAR. sorry my responses are shorter, I have been very stressed at school and have relapsed, im disappointed but not surprised and I don't even care anymore I realised the only reason I stayed clean was so I didn't have to hide it from my parents, My mind is all over the place atm, some moments I'm fine other moments I just don't want to

Here2Talk
Community Member
I’m sorry to hear that Tamrby. Don’t feel pressured to respond quickly, or in detail. Has it been the school work that has had you stressed at school or other problems with students as well?

Tamrby
Community Member
I think the school work had me already stressed, but lately some students have been getting to me and theres times where I really do not like my appearance, maybe that led to it? I'm not sure. It just seems like I can count the people who actually don't dislike me on my fingers

Here2Talk
Community Member

Often it can be like the weight of each stress in our life compounds. I certainly feel like the amount of people I can truly count on in life can be counted on one hand. I wonder if that's kind of normal though. Social media is notorious for its representing "fake lives" - all these people filter only the best of their experiences and project this kind of false image of how their lives are online - this is part of what some researchers think has contributed to a rise in depression and self-harm, particularly in girls, and particularly since we were able to check social media all day long. When I was in school, you had to go home and log on to check on your social media. So that can definitely be destructive.

The people who do dislike you, who do you think they are? Obviously the people who have been harassing you have a problem. But I'm thinking what about the others. Sometimes it's not that people dislike us, but - especially when teenagers - they have all kinds of school and social pressures going on themselves, and it's just difficult to navigate that - plus teenagers as a group in general have the reputation for not being friendly anyway 😛

What don't you like about your appearance my dear?

Tamrby
Community Member
other than a few people out of my friend group I feel I am treated poorly by most in my year, because idk im not like them? I get its highschool but I have spoken to my sister (whos only a few years older) and everyone in her year got along. With my appearance its everything, my teeth, my jawline, my hair, my nose, my eyes, sometimes my body there are few times where I feel look good (and not by social media standards I know those arent realistic) but just by normal looking people standards, I like my eye colour it makes me unique but thats the only part i like

Tamrby
Community Member
I'd happily look like anyone else in my school, although of course the people on social media are gorgeous i understand thats not realistic, I like my personality (mostly) but maybe if I looked better and was more athletic I wouldn't have to deal with so much crap at school

Here2Talk
Community Member
We all have something beautiful to us Tamrby. When you say you’re not like them (presumably some kids at school) how do you mean? You have also mentioned fear of coming out to your mother for things she’s said and threatened, I’m sorry to hear that; is that something you’d like to talk about? No pressure.