FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Just came back from psychiatric ward... want to go back there again

sadvet
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I was admitted into the psych ward for attempting suicide, depression and anxiety.

I was there for 12 days and was finally discharged yesterday as I felt like I was ready and haven't had suicidal thoughts or thoughts of self harm for a few days prior to discharge. My very supportive partner and I have discussed extensively with psychologists, psychiatrists and social workers about the plan post discharge and I felt I was definitely ready and was even excited. Overall I had a positive experience at the ward and felt like I was finally going to turn my life around.

However, the moment I settled at home, I have been crying and it feels like I am relapsing again. I even feel like going back to the psych ward because I just feel so overwhelmed at home. I would love to hear anyone's experience how they made through this transition as I know it is always difficult. I have psychology sessions lined up tomorrow and for the following weeks and a social worker contacting me next week as well. Thank you so much.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi sadvet,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us like this today. We know it isn't easy but it is so important that you have, especially at such a crucial point in your recovery. Our wonderful online forums community is here to give and receive support to one another based on their own experiences with mental health, some of which will resonate with yours.

While the peer support offered here is often quick, it's important to remember it is not immediate. For more immediate support we recommend reaching out to your GP or your other healthcare professionals or our support service, which is available 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 for brief counselling, support and referrals.

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi sadvet

I wanted to drop in and congratulate you on reaching out at such a hard time when you are feeling so very overwhelmed and when being at home has not gone as you would have liked and not as you had hoped.

I don't have any experience in what you are going through but wanted to say how proud I am of you for reaching out today and there will be some wonderful people in this community that will be able to share some of the same experiences that you are having, you are not alone sadvet.

Welcome and I hope that today sees something however small to put a smile on your face.

Hugs

Sarah