FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stress and demotivation around year 12

confirmed08
Community Member
not sure if this belongs here but i’m completing year 12 this year, but i’m really struggling with anxiety and demotivation. i’m beginning to lose hope and faith in myself that I am able to do all this, it’s so much and my entire life is gonna be on pause. my mum is somewhat pushing me to go to uni after this but I don’t think I could bring myself to do another 3 years of this, I don’t even know if i’m gonna survive this year. really negative thoughts are beginning to creep in and it’s making me feel sad just all the time, when I’ve always been a very positive person. I don’t want this to ruin my relationship but I fear I’ll tear it down
5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Hi confirmed08,

Welcome to our friendly online community. We're so glad that you decided to reach out here today, we know it can take some courage to talk about how you're feeling for the first time. We're so sorry to hear that you've been feeling so anxious and demotivated. We know that Year 12 can be a really stressful time, and young people often put pressure on themselves to decide what their future will be in this time. Please know that there is lots of support available, and there is no rush or pressure to make any big decisions right now.

If you feel it may be helpful, you are always welcome to get in touch with Kids Help Line. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under. You also might consider making an appointment with your school counsellor if that's comfortable for you.

We hope that you can be gentle with yourself in this stressful time. When you're feeling really low, it can be helpful to talk about it with family members like your mum, or trusted friends. It can be tough to open up - you might like to take a look at our page “Talk about it"  for tips.

Thanks again for reaching out here. Hopefully a few of our friendly community members will be by over the next few days to welcome you.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi confirmed and welcome to the forums.I am sorry you are struggling with anxiety and that your mum is pushing you to do uni afterwards.My daughter has just started year 12 and she has really bad anxiety.She is really bright and gets good marks but I am not going to push her to go to uni or anything.It is her desision and we have had discussions about what she wants to do after school.Maby more study or maby fond a job.I will be their to support her.I think you need to have a chat with your mother and tell her how you are feeling and you do not like the pressure you feel you are under.I know how hard it can be to talk to a parent but it give it a try if you can.
Take care,
Mark.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

I wasin Year 12 many years ago and remember how challenging it was and how I doubted myself.
can you talk to your mum honestly or another family member or maybe a trusted teacher at school or year 12 coordinator

Today there is support for Year 12 because people realise how hard it is.

I wonder are your friends worried too.
can you just take one day at a time .?

confirmed08
Community Member

thank you Sophie, Mark and Quirkywords for your responses and making me feel so welcome, I really appreciate it.

I’m going to try and talk to mum about the whole thing, but I just worry about her disappointment or letting her down after all she’d done for me.

I’ve tried talking to a school counsellor about it, but they weren’t very helpful and brushed it off that I had nothing wrong with me, that there shouldn’t be any reason to be sad. I don’t know why I am but my brain is all over the place every day and night.

having lectures on sorting out your career, friends, family and teachers asking almost weekly what you’re doing after school makes it hard to take things one day at a time because I’m always having to consider and have worked out where I’m headed by like october. it’s becoming too overwhelming.

Hi confirmed I hope the talk with your mother goes well.I know as a parent I just want the best for my children and for them to be happy.This final year should be enjoyable year for you but many find it stressful with a lot of pressure.You need support from your home and not added pressure.As a parent I am very nervous how my daughter will go with her final year but I know she will try her best.

Tale care,

Mark.