FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I think I may have Harm OCD??

swampythingz
Community Member

So, if I'm gonna be honest, I've been having really bad thoughts, images and urges regarding harming myself and I'm to afraid to reach out to my mum to see a GP, because It's been getting REALLY bad. It's just constant and by this point and It's been affecting me from going to school, doing my school work and going out with my friends. Lately I've started avoiding everyone who tries to see if I'm alright and I just want to isolate myself from everyone just in case I do something stupid.

I really don't know what to do at this point because the urges have been telling me to......hurt myself badly and then I know I don't want that because I've always been afraid of pain.

But the thing is I really don't know whether I might have Harm OCD or just, well, depression because apparently intrusive thoughts are a symptom of depression. I'm like in urgent need of advice or atleast someone's thoughts on my issue.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey Swampythingz,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums, we're really glad you've found your way to our community and we hope we can talk through some of these concerns and experiences.

From your description it sounds like you could have OCD, however, we think it's important to discuss this with a mental health professional as they are the most qualified person to make this determination. Is there anything that would make you feel more comfortable to share what you've been experiencing with your mum or a GP?

If you feel up to it, we'd encourage you to reach out to our Beyond Blue Support Service, which is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals. 

It sounds as though you are needing some support and we want you to know that there is help available to you. We are sending you a private message with some extra support. We hope to hear back from you.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Swampythingz, thanks for being frank with us and also suffer from OCD myself and have for a long time and although I'm not a doctor can I suggest that if you want to mention to your mum that you need to see your GP, for something that is private and don't want to talk about it with her just yet, then I'm sure she will allow it.

The doctor may suggest seeing a psychologist using a mental health plan, which entitles you to 10 free Medicare paid sessions who may use ' Exposure and Ritual Prevention (ERP)'.

They will also discuss these 'intrusive thoughts' and if you google this many different comments will appear and explain that you aren't alone in how you are feeling.

You also contact Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 by phone, webchat or online but please if you can ask your mum and let us know how you get on.

Geoff.