FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Help in seeking help

GhedTremby
Community Member

I've been having dark though and sort of acted on them in the past. How do I get help and  support when I'm afraid to go to the hospital or use the beyond blue online councillor. 

Ps I do have autism and communication issues

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear GhedTremby,

You have asked quite an interesting question. Thank you for finding the courage to post it here.

Here in Australia, we respect your privacy very much. For this reason, it is necessary for you to find a way to start the process of asking for support. Fortunately, that process may start with a phone call to 000 where you merely say something like, "Please help me" to get the emergency support staff to track down your location and dispatch emergency service workers to your location. Of course, using this sort of call for assistance doesn't notify emergency workers of the nature of the emergency, so it will most likely be the police who are dispatched first as they are trained to work with unknown threats.

We therefore recommend finding the courage to set up a support network where you just need to let someone in your network know you are distressed and struggling, and that person would be able to call appropriate support services, and you would be much more likely to receive your desired, and most helpful supports as soon as possible.

Working with us and our wonderfully supportive community is an excellent way to help you figure out which supports you feel comfortable putting into place. Our phone number is 1300 22 4636, and our staff is quite well trained.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

I've had issues with the beyond blue help line in the past. She wasn't very helpful

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi GhedTremby,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Im sorry you feel afraid to go to the hospital or to receive online support.

I can suggest that you could go and see your gp and discuss the way you are feeling and the thoughts you are experiencing.