FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression from work

Jasmine.25
Community Member

Hey everyone. I've recently started a new job that I was really keen for but I've ended up hating it. It's not what I expected at all. It's super repetitive and boring, and I'm on my feet all day which I hate. I have so much pain in my back, hands and feet since starting there and I have to get up at 4am every week day. I'm not new to depression and suicidal thoughts, definitely had them before but it's all come back because of this job! It's a struggle to wake up in the morning, I feel so depressed I don't usually eat anything and then I'm starving later, and the suicidal thoughts are just there straight away, sometimes lasting the whole shift. I wouldn't actually do anything but I'm just not coping with how much my brain and body are struggling. I am looking for a new job and I hope I can get out of this one ASAP but in the meantime I felt the need to reach out. Can anyone relate? I would quit if I had money saved 😫

5 Replies 5

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm so sorry you are going through such a difficult time with your new job. It's heartbreaking when a role you were excited about turns out to be soul-crushing. 

Your feelings are valid and looking for a new position can be a good move - hopefully you can find a better fit soon. Can I ask what sort of support system you have? Perhaps family, friends or someone you can trust to talk about this sort of stuff.

Listening ...

David35
Community Member

Is there some way to relive the financial stress of needing that particular job?

Thanks for the reply. I have a good support system, although when it comes to suicidal thoughts I'm not good with talking about that with friends or family. Good news is I got a job offer for somewhere much more suitable for me, so I'm feeling relieved and so much better.

I would be able to survive if I left but it would make it hard to live and make it hard on my partner so I've just dealt with the struggle. I'll be starting a new job soon though so I'm feeling a lot better now.

Good luck with the new job. I hope it all works out for you.

And if you want to chat more ... I'll be listening, even if I reply a little late. 😞