Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Advice for extreme anxiety and suicidal

Community Member
Hi, I am thinking I need to possibly admit myself to hospital. Is my GP the best way. Needing medical treatment and extreme anxiety and suicidal.
3 Replies 3

Hi Greym,

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your bravery and openness in sharing here. It sounds like you're going through a really difficult time with extreme anxiety and suicidality. We're sorry to hear what's going on. It's really great that you're thinking about how best to get some help, and sharing here is a really powerful step, too.

Yes, we would recommend going to the hospital or calling 000 if you're feeling unable to avoid acting on thoughts of suicide or self-harm. If not, we'd recommend calling your GP for an urgent appointment. You can also call the Beyond Blue Support Line on 1300 22 4636. The counsellors there are super kind and supportive, they’re understanding and can be good to talk to right in the midst of these feelings, or at any moment so that you can work out your next steps in getting more support together with them. You can also reach them via Online Chat here.

It’s really important that you are kind to yourself, and keep yourself safe. Please remember that if you feel unsafe the number to call is 000. It also sounds like the Beyond Now suicide safety planning app may be a helpful resource to you. You can read about how it works and where to download it here. You can even call Lifeline on 13 11 14 and compete it together with one of their counsellors over the phone.

We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you, and we’re sure they’ll spot your post soon enough and have some kind words and understanding for you.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Greym,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling way, I understand that extreme anxiety is hard to deal with.

Sophie has given you some great advice.

I suffered with severe anxiety OCD it was a really horrible time in my life and it was relentless….. My severe anxiety fuelled my horrible intrusive thoughts.

I have now recovered thanks to the professional help that I received, you can also recover from what your going through.

Hang in there

Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Greym, you could tell your doctor how you are feeling at the moment, then they would probably admit you to a hospital for your own protection and safe keeping.

Another option is to ring 000 as Sophie has suggested and tell them how you feel, then they may do the same, however, what they might do is ask you to go and see your doctor, the problem is your doctor may not be working that day or is fully booked out, then you can ask them to take you to hospital for your own safety because at this point you don't want to see a new doctor instead of your own.

When you are in hospital, the doctors will be strange to you, but you will be protected 24/7 by staff and medical team all wanting to help you.

Best wishes.