FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What would you want to hear?

Guest_0932
Community Member

When in hospital, what helps you to hear from friends? I have a friend who is currently in hospital. I want her to know I'm thinking of her but also give her space so I'm not overwhelming her while she is so unwell. She is having some really hard days and not up to communicating much at the moment. She let me know she had a hard day the other day and will probably be admitted for longer then planned. I want to let her know I'm thinking of her, am here if she needs anything and will be here when she is discharged . I know she does know that and I don't want to overwhelm her by bombarding her with messages if that makes sense. She really isn't up to much at the moment. I know everyone is different but what do people find helpful or how best can friends on the outside show support during hospital admissions without been overwhelming?

5 Replies 5

Giraffe
Community Member
Maybe a nice text every now and then with a nice message?

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear JesAH,

I was just recently in hospital..and I really loved it when my supporter came in for an in-house visit and brought me some of my favourite treats....as well as took me out for an hour.....Maybe your friend is not allowed out right now...but some nice treats with a beautiful card saying that you are here for her now...and their for her on when she gets home...

If your beautiful friend isn’t up to seeing you..you can leave them with the wonderful nurses to give it to her for you...

I really do hope Jes, that your friend starts to improve with her mental health...The nurses and peer workers where I stayed were absolutely amazing...I wish the same is the case with your friend..

Talk here anytime dear Jes..we will try our best to help support you...

My kindest thoughts lovely Jes, with my care..

Grandy..

Hi Grandy,

Thank you for your reply. That is really helpful. I hadn't thought of leaving anything at the front desk for her. That is a wonderful idea and I can do that regardless of if I am able to hear from her or not. She isn't allowed out right now, but when she is and if she is up to seeing me and wants to go, I will definitely take her out. Also, next time she is well enough to text with me, I will ask if there is anything she needs that I can drop off even if she isn't up to seeing me. In the meantime, I will keep line of communication open for when she can and is able. Thank you so much, that is a great idea.

She is getting looked after well and I know she has got this, she will start to feel more like herself soon.

I am so happy to hear you were well looked after by the nurses and peer workers at your hospital. Wishing you all the best and thank you so much for your kind words....:-)

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear JesAH~

Your friend is lucky to have you, and I'm very sure the knowledge of your presence, now and in the future, is a great comfort.

That being said I know in my own case there can be an emphasis on there practical, and that's ok, but there is often no escape into other times and worlds,the unpleasant now is constant.

After all being on a ward is not something one is ever going to be happy with, no matter how good the nurses and facilities. Ideas not connected wiht the current unhappy situation, but designed to occupy, distract, amuse and bring relief can be most welcome.

In my case it was being given books to retreat into, a world where the good reaped their rewards, the bad received their just deserts, and all in worlds far from mundane reality.

So I guess I'd suggest thinking along those lines, if it was me I'd be waiting with anticipation for the next installment.

Everyone is different, so I guess it is up to you to judge how well such would be received.

I hope it works out well

Croix

Guest_206
Community Member

Hi JesAH,

I think you've said it really well yourself- you could just send her a text saying exactly what you've written - "I'm thinking of you, am here if you need anything and will be here when you are discharged."

I also like Ggrand's idea of leaving some treats at reception, or a nice soap or something like that. When I was in hospital that sort of thing made my day. And getting a text message of support from someone was also really lovely but I was often not able to reply until much further down the track.

X g