FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What is something genuinely insignificant that has been bothering you lately?

est72
Community Member
It could be anything: maybe someone you don't know too well has been more distant than usual or maybe you're growing concerned about something that you feel is simply a small health problem. Maybe you've just lost an object and you've been struggling to find it for a while. Feel free to rant about something small that has been bugging you, even though it may feel unimportant in comparison to other struggles you or someone else has been dealing with lately without feeling bad for complaining about it.
13 Replies 13

Calbue
Community Member
Hi mmMekitty,

Thank you for your words. I think I had a realisation when reading your words as well… I think I my embarrassment IS making me unable to study sometimes. I never realised that was the issue until you said it might have been. I guess that’s something I have to reflect deeply on. I’m the first in my family to stick with uni, so I should be proud. But seeing how so many other people are going to uni as well makes me feel like me staying and trying to finish my course is not something to be proud of. These days, all I hear from people are that university degrees don’t matter because so many people have one….

topsy_
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Calbue

I think it’s wonderful what you have achieved already - working, supporting yourself & studying. With so little to go now I would be planning some sort of really special reward. Maybe a little trip somewhere to relax? You’ve earned it - literally.

And after all this COVID stuff when you finish you will be able to travel. And probably even a normal graduation ceremony. You’re about to finish at the perfect time! Well done!

Regards, T. 🎉🥂👏🍾

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was wondering, do you have any 'study buddies', a small group of other students you can sometimes study with, share ideas and discussions about your studies? I am thinking that a little peer support would be helpful.

When I was young, I was not encouraged to go beyond year 10, such were the attitudes of my parents . As I was given to understand, my going on to finish senior high school, let alone into terriary studies was futile and pointless.

My friend too, had not been encouraged either, though she really was smart and academically minded.

Most kids when I was growing up, did not get past grade 10, and it seemed, only the top few percent were encouraged to continue study, to plan for a career to follow.

That's why I applaud you.

Also, consider, over the last few decades expectations have changed. People are required to have more and more qualifications, even for entry level jobs.

More importantly, I think all the education you can get will be valuable across your entire life.

& as life goes on, you'll likely have noticed already, we never stop learning.

I'm wishing you all the best, but not to neglect some time out. I can't tell you how to fit that in, but please try.

mmMekitty

Calbue
Community Member
Hi topsy and mmMekitty,

Thank you for your words. Sometimes it does not feel like an accomplishment. There have been multiple times throughout the years where I’ve had to defer because of financial reasons or mental health reasons. Sometimes I hate that I let myself be so affected by the things around me, to the point where I have to put so many things on hold just to cope with life responsibilities.

I’m almost done though. After 6 long years I’ll be done. It’s been a long time, and I’m really feeling the strain now to decide what to do with my degree. At the current moment, I have no idea. When I first started my degree, I had drive and was certain about what I wanted to do. Now, after living through the pandemic for 2+ years… I really think the pandemic has changed the way I think. I’m not too sure now, and I think that’s also a factor that’s causing me a lot of anxiety, stress and honestly…. it has made me question if I really should finish my education. I’m not sure if I can finish in time now that the COVID disaster payments will stop. It was hard to balance work and study pre-COVID but now it’ll be harder to find a steady income when so many people are in search for an income as well.

I have actually started to plan a little reward for finishing, but my finances are making it a bit difficult to plan something that will bring me the most joy or any joy at all. It’s been a difficult two years, and trying to plan something when you don’t have the finances for it is a little disheartening. I’ve been trying to counteract this feeling/mentality by finding joy in the little things in life but it’s difficult when I’ve had such unrealistic expectations of what a good life should entail for years. I’ve been trying to unlearn all these idealisations to be more at peace.

I also just want to say I really appreciate your replies. It makes me feel heard.