FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What do you do to keep your mind off things and try to feel happy?

Sadlou
Community Member
Hi there I'm going through a really tough time at the moment.  Our 15 year old son has told us he is transgender, he is so depressed he can't attend school.  We are having some major money issues, my dad passed away a few years ago so my mum is on her own.  She has a great network of friends and plays croquet a couple of times a week however does not drive.  She lives literally a 5 minute walk away but for some reason she never comes to visit and never makes an effort to visit her friends and complains that they never go to visit her so I just don't enjoy her company and I'm struggling to be around her.  I have a great job and work with some lovely people however it's only 3 days a week and I'm trying to find some extra hours somewhere to help with the money issues.  I attend Aqua fitness classes 4 times a week as I know exercise is great for depression but boy I have some really bad days especially if I'm not at work I can cry all day and have suicidal thoughts.  So I'm just after some ideas on what you do to help you get through each day?

beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

3 Replies 3

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sadlou, hope you were able to access the resources I posted for you in the other thread about your son.

It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate at the moment. There's a few threads here in the Staying Well forum where people share what they do to keep the black dog at bay. Below are a few direct links:

Helpful books and products for anxiety and depression

Divert your attention: reignite your passions

What worked for me

What things keep you positive

Making an emergency care wall

Also, have a look at:

Self help tips for depression

Self help tips for anxiety

Narniakid
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sadlou,

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, I hope things turn around for you soon, and remember there are lots of listeners such as myself here on BB who will support you throughout this tough time. 

As for things to keep your mind off things, the first activity I always suggest is something you love to do already - whether it be baking, watching movies, or reading a magazine, have a think about what you enjoyed doing before the depression took over.

I also highly recommend taking up an artistic hobby such as writing, drawing, painting, sewing, knitting and DIY crafts. Not only are they a brilliant outlet for all your feelings of sadness, they are very calming, and I find that the sense of accomplishment at actually creating something helps to motivate me to do the other commitments in my life, like going to work/school.

Another thing I do a lot of is charity work. Plant a Tree Day, Clean Up Australia Day, Salvos Red Shield Appeal and Relay for Life are just a few you could have a look into - helpful other people not only gives me something to do, it makes me feel much better.

I hope my suggestions are somewhat helpful. Please keep us posted and chin up!

Crystal 

yarnartisan
Community Member

Hey Sadlou,

I'm with Narniakid (with whom I've exchanged ideas on this topic, she's lovely, a wise head on young shoulders),do something you enjoy crafts, crosswords, sudoku,colouring in (there are so many free downloadable adult colouring in pages , that are specifically for antistress, and relaxation. I've become recently addicted to them and have printed some off, put them in a clipboard folder , got some great coloured sharpies and take them to work or do them at home . It's amazing how 10mins of colouring in can help you chill and feel good about creating something.I experimented with pastel pencils the other day and that was great. There's even watercolour pencils.

It just switches your brain to a different place for a while and drowns out the 'goblin mutterings'.

Hey , it's winter and raining, I love a good walk in the rain, especially if there's some muddy puddles to jump in. If anyone sees me they'll either put it down to menopausal madness or laugh. so hey whatever, it's free fun.

If your too knackered to read ,borrow and an audio book from your local library. It doesn't have to be some literary classic .go get a Roadl Dahl from the kids section and have a giggle. Or even 'The day my bum exploded" by Andy griffiths, yes it really does exist! or anything from "the Floods" series, (hysterical and totally nuts) bring back the inner child.

Humour always get me through most bad moments and if you can get through the moments, evenutally the hours and days will get better.

I heard a great one today, 'May your chickens all turn into Emus and kick down your dunny door" Now just visualise that scenario for a minute or two, and you just got a smile.

Take care of you,

and as a childhood friend used to say, "sending you love and warm puppies"

Yarnartisan.