FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Walking Shoes - Walking and Other Exercise

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hey to anyone reading this.

Last night I had an idea about starting a new thread about exercise especially walking. I am aware that walking is very beneficial for our mental, emotional and physical well being. And by actually doing it....well it can make a huge difference to how we cope with the storms that we face in life.

OK, I am not real good at disciplining myself to walk, and have to really push myself to do it. And sometimes it is even hard to leave this bedroom. Anyway I am not a beginner walker, as I have stuck to sort of a plan before. So I know that it does make me feel somewhat better. But I only stayed on the plan for a couple of months, then gave up.....for whatever reason. So here I am again wanting desperately to not fail this time.

So I guess this thread is for anyone that does walk, anyone that is struggling to walk because of depression or anxiety issues. And anyone else really......

I am unsure of the outcome of all this. But my ideas included: Sharing about things we have found out about exercise especially about walking. Writing down the reasons that one would chose to walk ( like something to help motivate). Being accountable in same way. Sharing about the places where we actually do walk, like the beach, gym, around the block, with the dog, out to the clothesline and back. And any other useful tips that could help others. So here we go......

4,382 Replies 4,382

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sharing your walks. I also appreciate it when you share that your health is not so good, but you still manage to go for a walk despite maybe considering staying home is easier.

Yesterday I had a walk in a place I was hoping would be quiet. Unfortunately the farmers in our district are busy at the moment with all kinds of machinery! 

I did try to accept the machinery noises and focused on the sounds of nature. The wind was rustling in the um trees and made a different sound in the rushes. There were a few different bird songs to listen to including a flock of very raucous corellas.

I followed a single land farmer's track that had puddles of water on it and lots of mud from recent vehicle traffic. Alongside was a ditch that may have once been a shallow creek. It was dry. I clambered down the bank and sat on a stone for a while, soaking in the sun that peaked out from behind the clouds now and then.

Back up on the road, there were vines on both sides of the track, only a few still held on to a few autumn tones leaves, the rest were just the vine structure. Some still had shrivelled up grapes hanging from them.

Further along the track there were no trees of any kind, so I could slowly spin around and view the horizon being low hills and then the massive dome of the sky now almost covered in a variety of clouds, dark grey in some areas and a few white fluffy ones in a different direction.

It was good to be out in the fresh air. I had thought of going on a trail, but due tot he recent rains it would have been a bit slippery and maybe unsafe, so I will save that for another day.

Hi Mrs D, I really liked your walk that you went on yesterday. In my imagination I was clambering down a dusty bank towards a flattish rock feeling the warmth of the sun. And every now and then looking up and seeing fluffy clouds. And because you walked past a grape vine ,in my imagination I was eating dried grapes like sultanas. Thankyou for sharing where you went.

Went walking out in the fresh ocean air, on the breakwall 

Hi Shell and All reading,

Imaginations are wonderful aren't they. As I read other people's walks here, like you, I see an image in my mind. 

This morning I am going to the pool for my exercise. I might have a walk in the afternoon as well, depending on the weather. 

Yesterday it was raining so my usual walks on the clay style roads were not appealing. I wandered around our little town on the bitumen roads instead.  On the edge of town I looked through a small group of gumtrees in a huge paddock with the sun rise in the background, there was a lot of grey cloud and only a little colour.

I heard a couple of kookaburras, saw lots of magpies, a flock of galahs and a couple of brilliant red parrots in a stumpy sized gum tree . In a lawn I saw small bright yellow fungi growing. I smiled to myself when I saw a rabbit hopping through someone's garden, to me they look so cute. 

There is a pool of water which used to be a creek but has been dammed up. There were a couple of ducks there. I stopped and admired the refection of the early morning in the water, it became windy and there were slight ripples on the water. 

It was nice to be out early and to hear all the birds.

Yes imagination can be good sometimes Mrs D.

Oh good one going to the pool. Do you swim or do stretching there or something else? 

I too like rabbits , they are just so cute.

Went walking on the breakwall today again. I actually spoke to some people. They were walking behind me for a while, I tried to walk faster. It is just a game I play. " Walk faster so the people don't pass me". Once I got further on the breakwall where the wind was picking up, I felt myself going a little slower. As the wind was pushing into me, if that makes sense. They ended up passing me, I heard them comment on the wind. Then I heard my voice agreeing with them. Super windy. This speaking may not seem a big deal to many. But it sort of is to me. 

I also went walking in a little city town. It has a row of shops on both sides of the road. Plus cafes and I noticed a library as well. As I was walking along, I saw a old fashioned toy store. Selling what appeared like timber and other well made toys and items. There was a bicycle shop with the small of rubber waffling out the doors. On the way back I walked through the large crunchy brown leaves scattered along. I really like that crunch sound. And I think the leaves look beautiful on the ground like that 

Went for a short walk around the neighbour hood tonight. We walked almost to the traffic lights at the school, which is up a slight hill. I felt so invigorated by the winter chill in the air. We spotted a ginger/ orange cat 😺 hanging around in the gutter. Pretty cute. We just said hello in cat language.Glad I walked 

Dear Shell,

It’s so lovely you saw the ginger/orange cat and really enjoyed your evening walk. I enjoyed reading about your previous walks too and could just imagine the old fashioned toy store and the bicycle shop with the smell of rubber. The last time I got my bike serviced at a bicycle store I remember that smell. I remember thinking it would be great to work in such a store if you love cycling. I love it but haven’t done it in such a long time. As I’m on the weak side at the moment I feel I’d struggle with the hills around here. But there’s a town an hour away with a long, flat cycle path. My bike fits in my car so I might try that on a fine day if I feel up to it.

I don’t have recent walks to report. I nearly went out today but it started to hail! So instead I watched small balls of ice bouncing around my backyard. I hope to do a walk tomorrow morning.

I love what you said about cat language too. I love talking to animals. I actually chat with the local cockatoos. I was talking to one in nearby forest saying “hello” and she replied something like “harrow”. They are so intelligent and I’m sure quite capable of learning human words just as pet cockatoos often do.

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This morning I have walked by the river. The tide is high and it’s clear it was even higher earlier as weed from the estuary has washed over the walking path. The air is cold and the light on the river is silvery. I’m sitting at a favourite spot that is sheltered. The sun has just come out and is very warming, but I can see will soon be behind a cloud again.

An island in the river has a variety of birds on it as usual, but they are quite huddled together as the island is smaller from the high tide. Frogs have been calling from each side of the walking path. The river is making gurgling noises around the rocks on the shore.

At the beginning of my walk I had an enthusiastic dog run up to me. The owners were worried about him jumping up, but I said I don’t mind and that I’m used to dogs and love them. I think he was probably an American Staffy. I enjoyed patting him. I feel so happy and at home with dogs.

I can see possums have been here from their distinctive scats. I am next to the kinds of trees they like in this spot. I can also see what looks like a tunnel that’s been burrowed through the reeds next to me and wonder what animal made it. Possibly bandicoots which are about here.

Two people are now heading upstream in their boat. In the very far distance I can see what looks like a houseboat. The sun’s gone behind a big, grey cloud and the temperature has dropped, so I’ll start moving again to keep warm.

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Still on the same walk. I just saw an osprey fly out over the water. I looked to the pine tree it had flown from and I can see two more osprey sitting at the top of it. My guess is they may be a family of parents and offspring. Even when they reach full size juvenile osprey remain dependent for some time on the parents and can squawk demanding food even though they look big enough to get it themselves. There is no squawking here but guessing one may be a big baby. If I had my telephoto lens I could see markings more clearly. It’s lovely knowing they are here. They look majestic at the top of the tree.