FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Walking Shoes - Walking and Other Exercise

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hey to anyone reading this.

Last night I had an idea about starting a new thread about exercise especially walking. I am aware that walking is very beneficial for our mental, emotional and physical well being. And by actually doing it....well it can make a huge difference to how we cope with the storms that we face in life.

OK, I am not real good at disciplining myself to walk, and have to really push myself to do it. And sometimes it is even hard to leave this bedroom. Anyway I am not a beginner walker, as I have stuck to sort of a plan before. So I know that it does make me feel somewhat better. But I only stayed on the plan for a couple of months, then gave up.....for whatever reason. So here I am again wanting desperately to not fail this time.

So I guess this thread is for anyone that does walk, anyone that is struggling to walk because of depression or anxiety issues. And anyone else really......

I am unsure of the outcome of all this. But my ideas included: Sharing about things we have found out about exercise especially about walking. Writing down the reasons that one would chose to walk ( like something to help motivate). Being accountable in same way. Sharing about the places where we actually do walk, like the beach, gym, around the block, with the dog, out to the clothesline and back. And any other useful tips that could help others. So here we go......

4,382 Replies 4,382

T This afternoon I went walking around my neighbourhood with my sister. I don't often notice a lot around me, because we are chatting almost the whole walk. Which is good. We did stop to look at a tree with white flowers on it and I heard my cat Lily meow as she come out to great us out front. 

The night before I went walking out with my son. I was so very tired, but glad I walked anyway

Hi Elizabeth,

Welcome to this thread, hope you enjoy being here. Recovering from an injury can take time. A couple of years ago, I ripped tendons from my foot and it took a while before I was able to walk any distance again. I still have a bandage I take on longer walks for my foot if I need to use it. I had a soft foot brace as well for support.

Sometimes I am my own worst enemy. I expect too much from myself. I want to go that much further, only to cause myself an injury and a set back. So my advice is to take care of yourself along this journey.

There are times when I am out walking with my sister and I tell her I need to stop for a while. 

Are there some exercises you could do at home to help build up your stamina? I saw a clip of a person walking up and down three steps at their home. They stated the first time they tried this, they could only complete walking up and down the steps once. That was more than they had achieved the day before.

I'd like to encourage you to make the most of your walks even if they are short some days and you need to rest along the way. Regards from Dools

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi to Elizabeth CP, Scotchfinger, Kazzl and all reading,

Welcome to everyone. I've not been for my morning walk yet, I hope to find the enthusiasm to go out walking later this morning. My mental health is not in a good state so I know doing something for myself will be beneficial.

Yesterday I went for a walk soon after sunrise. We had a stormy looking sky here with very dark clouds, some looked like they had ripples running through them or they were like a churned up ocean. The sun was forming a glow through part of the clouds, like a torch beam through a very smokey fire.

Some of the hills in the distance are starting to turn green, the paddocks in front have been ploughed and seeded. Some of the photos I took on my phone worked out well.

Walking and other exercise does have so many benefits. A fiend likes it when I share my photos with her. I am exercising, am out of the house, taking in the fresh air and there are  so many other benefits.

Hi Mrs D, thankyou for sharing your walk. 

And I agree there are many benefits to go out walking. Walking in fresh air almost always helps me feel better. 

Hoping you feel better soon Mrs D

Dear All,

It’s lovely to hear about all you see and experience on your walks and the benefits you get from it.

I didn’t think I could walk today as I felt very unwell for much of it. But late afternoon I managed to drive to a beach with my camera and telephoto lens with me. There was a southerly wind which was cold but reviving, and it actually helped me to start feeling better.

I walked on the sand path over the sand dune to a sheltered bay. There were several lines of granite rocks extending out from the beach. I immediately noticed the crabs feeding on them. So I set about staying low and being still, as this prevents frightening them, and managed to get some nice shots in the late afternoon light. The sun came out a bit but was mostly partly filtered through the clouds. That filtered light can be ideal for photography. Sometimes in full sun the whites of the crabs claws are so bright the highlights are blown out and there’s too much contrast. But the lower angle of the winter sun combined with some filtering through the clouds is perfect.

I only walked a little up and down the beach. But I felt so much better for it.

Dools, I really hope you feel better soon too.

Those cool breezes or winds can feel invigorating. They often make me feel better too. Wake me up somehow. Its good you where able to out there Eagle Ray. And good that you can take photos...doing something you really like doing. Nice one 

Thank you so much Shell 😊. It does wake you up, doesn’t it! It felt cleansing too.

Hi Eagle Ray and Hi Mrs D Hi paw prints,

Today I went walking on the breakwall again. It was beautiful out there. When there is chatting going on with the person who I am walking with..which has many benefits as well. I tend to not notice the surroundings as much. However I did notice the huge cargo ship coming into the port. I saw the small short haired dog running towards us. I noticed the feeling of warmth from the sun on my face. Thankful I walked

I went walking again tonight with my son. I am really tired now. So I am hoping that will help me sleep better. We walked around the neighbourhood. I think it is helping our relationship, which is super good. Just him and myself walking 

Hi Everyone,

Shell, that’s so lovely having a nice walk with your son. And I’m glad you enjoyed your walk on the breakwall too.

In the late afternoon I went to my favourite spot by the ocean. The light was filtering through the clouds which was beautiful. I had my telephoto lens with birds in mind, but ended up taking mostly landscape shots of the coastline and an island out to sea with rays of sunlight filtering through the clouds above it. However, I did get some photos of a tern flying that was backlit by the golden light in the clouds.

Today was my best day in quite a while in terms of energy and breathing. I was able to walk around more and I didn’t need to lie down most of the day as I have been recently. It is good to be a bit stronger.