FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Walking Shoes - Walking and Other Exercise

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hey to anyone reading this.

Last night I had an idea about starting a new thread about exercise especially walking. I am aware that walking is very beneficial for our mental, emotional and physical well being. And by actually doing it....well it can make a huge difference to how we cope with the storms that we face in life.

OK, I am not real good at disciplining myself to walk, and have to really push myself to do it. And sometimes it is even hard to leave this bedroom. Anyway I am not a beginner walker, as I have stuck to sort of a plan before. So I know that it does make me feel somewhat better. But I only stayed on the plan for a couple of months, then gave up.....for whatever reason. So here I am again wanting desperately to not fail this time.

So I guess this thread is for anyone that does walk, anyone that is struggling to walk because of depression or anxiety issues. And anyone else really......

I am unsure of the outcome of all this. But my ideas included: Sharing about things we have found out about exercise especially about walking. Writing down the reasons that one would chose to walk ( like something to help motivate). Being accountable in same way. Sharing about the places where we actually do walk, like the beach, gym, around the block, with the dog, out to the clothesline and back. And any other useful tips that could help others. So here we go......

4,381 Replies 4,381

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Shell and Dools,

Yes, I thought toadstool was a funny kind of word without ever thinking about its meaning. It would be incredibly cute to find a toad sitting on one.

Dools, that’s so cute about the cat liking being scratched under the chin, and hilarious about the dog going for the skid on the grass and trying to remain dignified. The parrots in the flowering gums sound lovely.

I can imagine the trucks going through as I almost moved to a town that also is on a highway where trucks regularly go through. It’s good you can get away for your walks. I imagine you do somewhat get used to the sound at home but totally makes sense you would usually have the windows closed overnight.

It’s wonderful to have those photos to remember our walks by isn’t it.

Yesterday I went down by the river. The water was clear and I could see fish swimming about. I lay on the bench I like in the sun and warmed up. The vegetation next to the bench provides a wind break. It wasn’t very windy but the breeze was cold. I saw herons, terns, spoonbills, ducks, swans, pelicans, gulls and cormorants. When I got up from the bench I could see silver fish leaping out of the water as they went along. It was very healing being by the river and I felt a lot of stress leave my body.

I too loved your description of the dog skidding on the the slopped wet grass Mrs D. I can see a dog doing exactly that, looking behind all dignified and puffed up with courage knowing he did is watchdog job. It's so adorable.

And not to worry about the photo on the phone bit. I get muddled as well. I did ask you though, because I wondered about it. Thankyou for answering 

I would love to visit the place you so well described Eagle Ray. So many water birds. Those spoonbills are beautiful and hard working birds with there bills or beaks looking like that.

I am sitting just near the beach. I went for a walk on the breakwall. I liked the feel of the chill on my face. I noticed the plants growing up and around the rocks. They have thick long leaves with light purple flowers. I heard the lapping water against the rocks. I heard the soft grainy sound of sand beneath my shoes. There was a heavy dusting of sand on the path. And at times I stared at the many footprints from others.

My thoughts were mostly else where though. Quite scattered around. And I felt distant from my surroundings. I saw the water etc but it didn't register me. Far away somewhere else I found myself to be. I don't like being in this state at all. 

I am glad I walked out there though, as I know it would have helped in some way.

I heard a sweet baby giggling behind me too. A happy sounded giggle

Dear Shell,

I’m glad the walk out on the breakwall was helpful. I know what you mean about feeling distanced from surroundings. I find it can happen if something is troubling me or something stressful happened and I can’t quite process it. I think it’s how our nervous system is trying to protect us by kind of spacing us out, so I think even just knowing that can help. And then things like feeling the ocean breeze kind of bring us back to ourselves and at least in some way reconnect with the present moment.

That’s so lovely about the baby giggling. It reminds me of when I was walking by the river about two weeks ago. I got to where a picnic bench was and a couple were there with their little toddler. She was giggling with one of those infectious laughs that is so cute and her parents kept laughing and laughing with her. They were all so happy and sharing each others’ happy vibes. You can’t help but giggle yourself when hearing babies and toddlers giggle. If you want to see a funny video, there is one of a baby finding it hilarious as someone (presumably dad) is tearing pieces of paper. It seems the idea has now been replicated by others, but if you google “baby laughing hysterically at ripping paper” the original YouTube clip should come up.

I hope you felt more settled tonight after your walk.

Thankyou Eagle Ray, I shall google the baby giggling at the ripping paper. I may have already seen it as it sounds familiar. I really love the sound of baby giggles. Just the simplest of things can start them off. 

And yes pretty sure you are right about the distant feeling. That is a little like the not feeling real feeling. Being tired also affects me a bit like that too .

Went out for a walk on the breakwall. I am very thankful I did, even though I feel so very tired. I could hear the water in the port gently hitting the rocks, I heard a seagull making that noise that they do. I felt the breeze in my hair and on my face. The breeze turned into a strong wind, but only for a minute . It was then I felt a sting from the sand on my face. There was sand on the path again. I just turned around for a while.

It was so nice feeling the warmth of the sun on me. Looking up I noticed the sky was a pretty blue and dotted with couple of small fluffy clouds.

There was a small boat in the ocean on the right side of me, maybe a fishing one.

A line of mothers pushing their babies in prams past by me. Cute...love it

I walked all the way to the end and back.

That’s sounds like a lovely walk Shell, feeling the warmth of the sun, seeing the blue sky and fluffy clouds and seeing the cute babies.

This morning I went out for the first time in a few days. I knew I couldn’t do a lot, so I went to a rocky spot by the ocean to photograph birds. I mostly sat and really enjoyed the scenery. The clouds had lots of interesting patterns since sunrise. I felt so grateful for this beautiful place I live in. It was very healing to be there.

I photographed a group of pied cormorants on a rock. Every now and then one would go into the water to fish. Then two oystercatchers came along. They have so much personality. They fossicked about in piles of seaweed finding things to eat. I also photographed a willie wagtail and later a grey fantail on the way back to my car.

I was down there a few hours, just going into deep rest for much of it. At one point I used my camera bag as a pillow and lay down. I could see the clouds moving across the blue sky.

Afterwards I drove to a nearby cafe in a scenic location. The people who run it are lovely and I always enjoy chatting with them. I didn’t have my phone with me for which I was grateful, because instead of reading things on it I was looking at my surroundings, including the coastal landscape, the smiling faces of tourists walking about with their cameras and the rain clouds moving in. I realised I sometimes actually miss the time when we didn’t have mobile phones as they are such a distraction from really being present. As I thought this a boy at a nearby table commented to his parents that they were both on Facebook. It’s like they were totally in another world and he was trying to reach them.

I was really pleased to go out today as Friday was the last day I felt strong enough to go out and be in nature. I look forward to putting my photos on the computer and seeing how they turned out.

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Today I did a short walk in the bushland across from where I live. There was a break after steady rain. I first walked across a large grassed area, dodging the large amounts of kangaroo poo. They’ve obviously been grazing there a lot. Sometimes they even come into the courtyard of the units where I live and graze there.

The woodland was dripping with water. Many leaves had fallen and carpeted the path. The plants were so alive with moisture. I came across a gum tree that had a blackened trunk from a past fire. Bright red sap was oozing out of it and it also had lichen growing on it. So it was a striking mix of black, red and green.

The black cockatoos were calling to one another high in the trees. They are so social and interactive. A magpie was being territorial and chasing one of them. Towards the end the sun came out and illuminated the tops of the trees.

When I got home I sat down and had the feeling of chi energy going through my body, like what you feel after doing tai chi. It felt like a healing energy and I closed my eyes so I could be present with it.

When I opened my eyes there was a rainbow to the south I could see out the window. I could feel the need to lie down which is frequent for me at the moment. So I lay on my couch under a blanket and could see the clouds outside had turned a peachy colour. I then fell asleep and I’ve just woken up.

Thankyou for sharing your world and where you hang out and walk Eagle Ray. The more I keep reading the names of birds you write about... I think I would like to know more about them. I definitely have seen a Willy wagtail, so I know what that looks like. And I have seen white cockotoos not back ones. Definitely seen magpies. Infact one went for the blond hair of my little boy once. Through the holes in his bike helmet.

Your couch seems like it is the perfect spot at your place. A spot where you can see the sky and still be cosy and safe inside under a blanket.