FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Walking Shoes - Walking and Other Exercise

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hey to anyone reading this.

Last night I had an idea about starting a new thread about exercise especially walking. I am aware that walking is very beneficial for our mental, emotional and physical well being. And by actually doing it....well it can make a huge difference to how we cope with the storms that we face in life.

OK, I am not real good at disciplining myself to walk, and have to really push myself to do it. And sometimes it is even hard to leave this bedroom. Anyway I am not a beginner walker, as I have stuck to sort of a plan before. So I know that it does make me feel somewhat better. But I only stayed on the plan for a couple of months, then gave up.....for whatever reason. So here I am again wanting desperately to not fail this time.

So I guess this thread is for anyone that does walk, anyone that is struggling to walk because of depression or anxiety issues. And anyone else really......

I am unsure of the outcome of all this. But my ideas included: Sharing about things we have found out about exercise especially about walking. Writing down the reasons that one would chose to walk ( like something to help motivate). Being accountable in same way. Sharing about the places where we actually do walk, like the beach, gym, around the block, with the dog, out to the clothesline and back. And any other useful tips that could help others. So here we go......

4,382 Replies 4,382

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I recently picked up a dog from a rescue shelter as well as started a new casual job as a waiter so I've been walking a heap more than I was previously and I feel much better for it. Especially walking my dog. It helps me clear my mind and streamline my thoughts. I was already quite active in the gym but that was more of a testosterone filled intense workout than walking at a leisurely pace. Much different.

Hi Shelley,

I am not long back from an hour long walk with Holly.  I had intended going out to the beach, but there were showers around this morning mainly along the coast.  So I ended up going out to the Showground where I work, and took a good walk around there.  Holly loved it because she is able to be off leash and there are so many things for her to check out and smell.  Saw a couple of other dogs which she got all excited about.  She is good with other dogs though, so no problems there.  

So both she and I are now feeling tired, but feel as though we have accomplished something.  It was also useful for my work as I have wanted to walk the perimeter of the grounds to properly check out the grounds, buildings, stables, camping sites, toilet blocks, etc that we have there.  I havent had the time to do a recce when I am there for work.  

My walk therefore served several purposes today.  It was a good day for a walk too.  Not too hot, a slight breeze and overcast.  Had a very brief shower of light rain, but not enough to stop walking.

PatT - yes I also find that walking the dog gives me the opportunity to help clear the mind a little, as well as to work off pent up frustrations.  Mind you I am no 'power walker' or anything like that.  I walk pretty casually, probably more aptly described as a 'stroll'.   ( - :    I have an injury which prevents anything too strenuous.

Sherie xx

Hi Pat T Glad you enjoyed your work & found it helpful.

Sherie Sounds like your walk ticked all the boxes Useful for work, good for you & the dog and a decent length.

I have had a really busy day so haven't had time to walk. Will get back on track soon I hope.

Hey Shelley, how are you? Thank you for thinking of me, I believe you just might be one of the kindest and most wonderful people I know! 

Elizabeth, my son is much like your grandson, he loves tools and copies his daddy all the time! His favourite thing is mowers though! 

Sherie, your walk sounds lovely! What kind of dog is Holly, I have a dog called Lara, who is a staffy, she is 11 and is my first baby, she still sleeps at the foot of my bed every night! 

Pat, I think next time I buy a dog I would like to get a rescue dog too, what is your puppy's name! 

I walked around the shops today and did lots of climbing ladders and lifting at work today! 

Love skye

Hey Shelley and my heartfelt thanks to your response 🙂

I do keep mentioning the 'power of distraction' and being 'Gentle to Yourself' on here a lot. These coping mechanisms helped me so very much and allowed me to be nearly 'free' from anxiety for 20 years...It works.

The Agoraphobia started after my recovery from anxiety.....I had 2 good GP's at the time and they both helped so much (including a really good psychologist) and it (agoraphobia...fear of being too far away from a safe place) started. I do accept the new feelings and 'float' with them (not to fight...that only exacerbates the anxiety) but its not really working very well....I can handle all of the situations that used to be major issues but now this is new and I am not trying to fight it.

I read on BB that Agoraphobia is 'the fear of leaving your house'...It isnt. It is more accurately described as a 'fear of being too far away from one's safe place'....

Anyhoo Shell...I just wanted to thank you kindly for sincerely caring. Also I have not responded to anyone else's posts on this page...and for that I apologize....Thats one of the biggest reasons I submit responses in single lines or in point form because anybody with a 'tired mind' has difficulty reading paragraphs due to the 'Lack of Ability to Concentrate'

This agoraphobia is a 'gift' after many years of (not fighting) accepting and 'truly' accepting daily anxiety attacks which have dissipated to a very small level through my coping mechanisms. I have very little to complain about.

Still Walking 🙂

Thankyou so much everyone

Paul

Woof!

Hi Paul, I just wanted to tell you how much you inspire me to continue on my journey and know I can beat the anxiety! It's a tricky thing isn't it, anxiety in all its form! 

Still I am trying not to fight it and just float through it! 

You just truly inspire me! 

Hugs to all

I left my walk to quite late today. I set out from our place at about 11pm. It is now 12 40 am. My son walked with me tonight, since it was so late again. He is such a caring and protective person. Which I am very grateful for...Anyway , whilst carrying a torch in one of my hands, we walked. It was pretty dark, with a few clouds. I kept looking up at the night sky, noticing the stars. I think we were talking a bit loud, because the neighbours dogs started barking at us. Glad to have the light of the torch, in case of nasty potholes in the road.... It was great to get out to walk, and it was much cooler then anyway...... 

With much love to all.

Shell xx

Thank you Paul for your explanation of you condition. You have done well to get where you are. 

I was very tired this morning but decided to do a short walk to 'wake up'so I could function. Still tired but feeling a bit better. Tomorrow I plan to sleep in and try to recover. My husband has nothing on so hopefully this will work. I have to get up when he does to help him. By the end of the walk I was able to enjoy the smell of the roses and sight of some lovely flowers.

Hello Skye, just quickly answering your question of me before I head off to work.

Holly (as in profile picture) is a mini foxie crossed with chihuaha.  Only a little girl of 4.5kgs, but a truly lovable little bundle of energy.  She turned 7yo on Christmas Day.  And like your dog, she sleeps on our bed.

Must go, busy day ahead of me.

Hi to all the other 'walkers'.  Have a great day.

Sherie xx

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hello PatT

So what workouts do you do at the gym, are you doing weights or running on the treadmill? I have thought about joining a gym before, but I am unsure to whether I would like it or not. So what is the name of your new dog? And I have studied your profile picture before, because I find it very unusual. What is with the "dog head" and the "rabbit head", is it for a play? And since it seems you are pretty physically active already, have you noticed more improvements in your mental health at all?

Hugs

Shelley xx