FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

VOLUNTEERING

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

There can be many benefits to volunteering, if it be weekly, monthly or even just as a once off experience.

It must be extremely rewarding if you can travel over seas to volunteer, unfortunately that is not possible for everyone.

There are so many different ways and places to do volunteer work. It does not matter if you help overseas or locally, the difference you can make in a person's life is something that may be immeasurable.

If you were to consider a volunteer role, where would you go?

I have recently started at a Riding for the Disabled group in our region. I don't know much at all about horses. I didn't even know how to put a bridle on a pony let alone a horse. Some of the horses are so big!

If anyone would like to share their comments and thoughts here, you are most welcome.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools

23 Replies 23

Quiettall
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello

My volunteering experience ranges from doing 2 very worthwhile and rewarding stints for three months each in Vietnam to being on a number of Boards and Committees to do with heritage, tourism, youth housing and more recently, family support.

I've done my fair share of youth work, church work, door to door collecting as well. Giving of yourself to the community is so much more rewarding than sitting at home watching TV or feeling sorry for oneself. I find when I am at my lowest emotionally, reaching out to others is a good antidote for building up your spirits.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Ms Purple,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on volunteering and for telling us how much voluntary things you have already been doing! It can be so rewarding.

I too would like to go overseas to volunteer. I would love to go to an orphanage somewhere and shower the children with TLC and help out where I could. Like you mentioned, money can be a barrier. I also have a few health problems that would limit my ability to held with physical activities.

For me, I have decided I may never get overseas to volunteer, so I can look in my own region to see where I can help out.

Keep your eyes open for opportunities and see where they lead you.

Cheers from Doolhof

Hi Dottie,

Yes volunteering can offer so much for the person receiving the assistance and also for the person who is volunteering.

I think we would all be very surprised to know just how many people do volunteer and also to consider the vast amount of volunteer opportunities even in our own neighbourhoods.

Cheers all from Mrs. Dools

Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to get to Vietnam? For those of us thinking about volunteering overseas ( even if we don't get there) can you give a brief outline of how it might happen?

Did you have to raise a certain amount of money first to support yourself while you were there?

Where did you live while there?

Did you move around to different areas?

What were you involved in when in Vietnam?

Do you have an inspiring story you might like to share with us?

That goes for everyone. It does not matter if you volunteer to mow an elderly neighbour's lawn or if you go overseas, all acts are worthwhile!

Cheers all from Mrs. Dools

Quiettall
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there

I did not have to raise funds. I applied through Australian Business Volunteers. They provided the airfare, the accommodation and a basic living allowance. I was able to adequately live on what was provided, and indeed, shared most of my allowance with those less fortunate than myslef, that I rubbed shoulders with there. I did a 3 month stint in Hanoi, which was great, but the best was a 3 month stint in Can Tho in the Mekong Delta, which was magnificent. The people were very loving and hospitable, and very grateful for even the simplest things I could do with them.

In Hanoi, I worked with local villagers about 100km west of the city in isolated very poor areas, helping them to renovate their basic houses to provide an excellent homestay servie for backpackers and adventure travellers. This gave them an opportunity to earn money to support their own households as well as build local community resources.

In Can Tho, I worked with the local fishing industry to help them produce and market their goods and produce to the export trade, using e-commerce websites. I also worked to raise funds to help improve the living conditions of some locals who I became close friends with, and still remain friends with these days

I would go back there again anyday. I love this work. It strips you down to living with the basics and makes you realise just how good we have it here.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing. Your volunteer work sounds so relevant for the people whom you assisted.

Some people just need a little assistance, information and instruction to help them make a go of things in life. I so hope all you have managed to do has helped these people in so many ways.

I recently heard of a minister of religion who invited a 15 year old boy into the local Church one afternoon so he could play a piano. Apparently he played beautifully.

The minister was blessed by the music and the boy was given an opportunity to do something he enjoyed.

We never know what an act of kindness may mean to another person.

Quiettall
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Mrs Dools

While waiting for the opportunity to do another assignment, I have sought ways to continue giving. I have approached local Service Clubs to do brief presentations on the assignments I have done, in order to continue to raise funds to support the effort over there. I have also been approaching local businesses to see if there is goods, such as vitamins, health supports etc that I can collect and send over, just to show we still care and havent forgotten them.

While I am frustrated that I cant go back just now, due to resisitance from close family to my returning there, I am determined to turn that frustration into positive energy by doing these things. Otherwise it would just eat me up and come out in the form of anger and resentment to those around me

Cheers

Hi Peter,

It certainly sounds like you are very passionate for the work you have done in the past and hope to continue giving to in this new way.

When others do not understand your vision, it can be difficult. I applaud you for not giving up on your dreams and ambitions.

You certainly do sound as though you have a passion for people.

An Uncle of mine is 85 years old. He assists in a men's shed helping "The old men" who go there. One of their projects is to build tee pees. A lady running a kindy in a remote place has put in an order for a tee pee. My father aged 80 and Uncle of 85 are travelling 4 hours one way to level the ground and erect a tee pee for the kindy.

They are doing this voluntarily. The lady is only paying for the tee pee not any other costs.

I asked my Dad if the lady had any idea how old he or his brother were and he said he had only talked to her on the phone.

Wishing you well with all your efforts.

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dools, et al

Wow, there are certainly a lot of different ways that people get out there and volunteer. Its good to know that there are so many of us looking to selflessly give back to society, in whatever way we find ourselves capable.
Personally, I volunteer at various charity athletic and fundraising events such as Color Run, Neon Run, Undie Run and various Balls and Galas. This weekend I am volunteering at the Dragons Abreast dragonboat racing carnival for the NBCF; and next weekend with the Sydney Zombie Walk raising funds for the Australian Brain Foundation.

My participation in charity events forms a key part of my personal therapy for keeping the blues at bay. On one hand I find my helping others a rewarding experience, and it helps show me that I am not worthless, that I can do things right. And on the other hand, I am able to expand my circle of friends ... some of which become part of my support network, and my part of theirs.

For those of us who deal with anxiety on a regular basis, for me at least, volunteering is one method that enables us to restock our bucket of successes.

Best wishes

Hi SubduedBlues,

Thanks for sharing the various volunteer opportunities you have participated in. Like you mentioned, there is such a huge variety of places for people to volunteer.

Today I helped out in a second hand shop. I had a wonderful time unpacking stuff and having a great laugh with some of the ladies there.

I was itching to get stuck into the displays and tidy them up! Maybe next time I will be able to do some of that.