FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Study Tactics

Sawyer
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

It's exam time at University, a time which often exacerbates issues like depression, fatigue and disorders due to the immense pressure placed people, particularly young people, to do well. I thought this might be a good opportunity to start a thread on ways to stay focussed and calm during these times so you can not only study effectively, but avoid the extremely unhelpful panic attacks.

Feel free to post here asking for others strategies, saying what works for you, or what works for others.

I myself, find it extremely helpful to light a candle at my desk, quit out of distractions like facebook, and listen to long compilations of music. I find a style of music known as chillstep to be particularly good for studying. It's kind of like modern day meditation music, for me, it gives me enough stimulation to remain seated at my desk without procrastinating, while not being as distracting as listening to my itunes (which has all my favorite songs). Furthermore I often found traditional meditation music just makes me drowzy, especially if i've been studying for a long time. I also personally really like playing a compilation of 'rain sounds' at the same time, mix the levels right, put my big headphones on and the whole world just seems to disappear beneath hours of successful study.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any strategies that work for you.

Regards,

Sawyer

4 Replies 4

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Sawyer,

I also love the chill step music, as it's a happy medium between traditional relaxation music and more upbeat music.

I finished my uni exams last Thurs, and I had a poor night's sleep before each of them, due to anxiety. During swot week and the exam period, getting adequate sleep, trying to get outside for at least a short period each day, and eating a wide variety of nutritious food, is helpful.

Some people find studying with one or two others doing the same subject to be helpful. That way, you can support each other.

Does anyone have any other study tactics?

Best wishes,

SM

Sawyer
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks for the reply,

Congrats on finishing your exams. I have my last one in a few days time. Can't wait to get out of my room and do something other than study. I'm often not as good as to get outside and eat healthy when I get busy, I tend to just sit at my desk til I feel I've achieved enough.

Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Sawyer

Hello,

I find turning off my phone and going to the library is what works best for me. I'm away from other people distracting me and also just general forms of procrastination,

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Sawyer,

Thanks - it was a relief to be finished. I hope your last exam went well 🙂

Best wishes,

SM